• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Gibson Dunn 2024

tosin4774

Jun 6, 2024
One of the primary reasons I am interested in working at Gibson Dunn is the opportunity to work in small teams. A benefit of this working environment is that it has the effect of creating a safe space where 'everyone at any level gets to have a seat at the table'. During my foundation year at university, a lecturer in my business management module divided us into small groups to work on a project together.

An outcome of this structure was that it manifested in two ways: firstly, it motivated me to actively participate and contribute my ideas without feeling scared or intimidated by other group members, and secondly, it fostered an environment where no one was afraid to ask questions, thus increasing approachability and collaboration among group members. All of these benefits of working in small teams contributed significantly to my success, leading to my scoring 89% on the end-of-year project. I intend to maintain this working style in a legal environment as I believe it will continue to benefit me in my future career.

The close mentorship and personalized feedback I received from my lecturer in small teams helped me to improve my skills and knowledge in a way that would not have been possible in a larger, more impersonal setting. Additionally, the collaborative environment fostered by small teams allowed me to learn from my peers and develop important teamwork skills that will be essential in a legal setting. Overall, I am confident that continuing to work in small teams will help me excel in my future endeavours.

Is this version better @Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
One of the primary reasons I am interested in working at Gibson Dunn is the opportunity to work in small teams. A benefit of this working environment is that it has the effect of creating a safe space where 'everyone at any level gets to have a seat at the table'. During my foundation year at university, a lecturer in my business management module divided us into small groups to work on a project together.

An outcome of this structure was that it manifested in two ways: firstly, it motivated me to actively participate and contribute my ideas without feeling scared or intimidated by other group members, and secondly, it fostered an environment where no one was afraid to ask questions, thus increasing approachability and collaboration among group members. All of these benefits of working in small teams contributed significantly to my success, leading to my scoring 89% on the end-of-year project. I intend to maintain this working style in a legal environment as I believe it will continue to benefit me in my future career.

The close mentorship and personalized feedback I received from my lecturer in small teams helped me to improve my skills and knowledge in a way that would not have been possible in a larger, more impersonal setting. Additionally, the collaborative environment fostered by small teams allowed me to learn from my peers and develop important teamwork skills that will be essential in a legal setting. Overall, I am confident that continuing to work in small teams will help me excel in my future endeavours.

Is this version better @Jessica Booker
Although I am happy to review sections of applications on occasion and when time allows, I can’t really do this on a continuous basis, so happy to provide feedback again on this occasion but this will be the last time I can do it.

I think you are spending too much of your word count describing your experiences. This example also is focused on what your lecturer/other people did rather than your input into the situation. Given this feedback, from what you have written, I have condensed it down to the following:

I am primarily interested in Gibson Dunn due to it small team structure that creates a safe space where 'everyone at any level gets to have a seat at the table'.

During my university foundation year, I worked on a small group project where I actively participated and contributed my ideas. In addition, I appreciated that no one was afraid to ask questions, which increased the group’s approachability and collaboration. This environment, combined with the close mentorship and personalised feedback I received from my lecturer, contributed significantly to my success, leading to my 89% grade. I intend to maintain this working style in a legal environment as it will continue to develop essential teamwork skills which will help me excel in future endeavours.

This part of your answer will need to be balanced out with more specific “why Gibson Dunn” content though, as the small teams could be said for a lot of other firms.

SoonToBeTrainee

Distinguished Member
  • Dec 29, 2023
    Could you give me tips on how I can answer this question "why does a career in commercial law and specifically Sidley Austin interest you" @Jessica Booker @Jaysen
    Jessica gets very busy, especially from around this time of year.
    It might be worth putting this question on the main Vacation Scheme thread. People on this forum are very friendly and likely to help out.

My suggestion for you is to research the firm. Why do you want to be a commercial lawyer? And, why at that firm? The question is asking about your motivations. It’s not a trick question, don’t worry!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.