• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Gibson Dunn 2024

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Why do you want to be a commercial solicitor
Why Gibson dunn. For this can i say becuase of the small intake
I would focus on more points for each part of this and provide references to your previous experiences that align to those points, rather than detailed evidence of one aspect (e.g. STAR format of answering like you currently have).

I would also try to get under the surface of broader statements like a small intake - what does this mean for trainees at Gibson Dunn rather than other firms that may also have a smaller intake?

Reactions: tosin4774

Zi48

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2022
Why do you want to be a commercial solicitor
Why Gibson dunn. For this can i say becuase of the small intake
Not sure if this is for the vacation scheme? In previous years they’ve asked for a cover letter with this brief:

“Please write a cover letter. You should include some of the following areas: what attracts you to Gibson Dunn; why you want to become a solicitor; an outstanding personal achievement which added value to either your academic or working environment; details of any prizes, scholarships, interests, positions of responsibility and any other noteworthy achievements that will support your application.”

Reactions: Jessica Booker

tosin4774

Jun 6, 2024
Not sure if this is for the vacation scheme? In previous years they’ve asked for a cover letter with this brief:

“Please write a cover letter. You should include some of the following areas: what attracts you to Gibson Dunn; why you want to become a solicitor; an outstanding personal achievement which added value to either your academic or working environment; details of any prizes, scholarships, interests, positions of responsibility and any other noteworthy achievements that will support your application.”
This is for the vacation scheme which is what I am applying for

tosin4774

Jun 6, 2024
Commercial law appeals to me due to its client-focused approach, a perspective that I developed early in life. At the age of 14, I began working as a receptionist at my dad's hotel, where I witnessed firsthand the importance of customer satisfaction and providing exceptional service that makes guests feel valued and taken care of. I have replaced the cutting word with this "This mindset of prioritising the needs and experiences of others has greatly influenced my interest in pursuing a career in commercial law, where I can continue to enhance client satisfaction and deliver high-quality service in a legal context. This experience taught me that I care about making money and going the extra mile for customers, retaining their loyalty, and ensuring their continued satisfaction." This aligns with how Gibson Dunn & Crutcher LLP (Gibson Dunn) has retained a lot of clients because of their client-focused approach, which made them recognised in the BTI Client Service All-Stars, particularly with Scott A. Edelman, Theane Evangelis, and Bradley J. Hamburger being honoured for two consecutive times in both 2022 and 2023.
The total word count for everything is 650 words. However, I believe I should allocate more words to discuss why Gibson Dunn and Commercial Law @Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Commercial law appeals to me due to its client-focused approach, a perspective that I developed early in life. At the age of 14, I began working as a receptionist at my dad's hotel, where I witnessed firsthand the importance of customer satisfaction and providing exceptional service that makes guests feel valued and taken care of. I have replaced the cutting word with this "This mindset of prioritising the needs and experiences of others has greatly influenced my interest in pursuing a career in commercial law, where I can continue to enhance client satisfaction and deliver high-quality service in a legal context. This experience taught me that I care about making money and going the extra mile for customers, retaining their loyalty, and ensuring their continued satisfaction." This aligns with how Gibson Dunn & Crutcher LLP (Gibson Dunn) has retained a lot of clients because of their client-focused approach, which made them recognised in the BTI Client Service All-Stars, particularly with Scott A. Edelman, Theane Evangelis, and Bradley J. Hamburger being honoured for two consecutive times in both 2022 and 2023.
The total word count for everything is 650 words. However, I believe I should allocate more words to discuss why Gibson Dunn and Commercial Law @Jessica Booker
It’s hard to review only a short section of an application because you don’t know how it fits into everything you are writing.

There will need to be more detail on law specifically though. Client service is just one aspect of law, but many other jobs have this same aspect so I would recommend drilling it down more to the topic of law too.

If you need word count back, you can write it like the following and get more word count remaining

Commercial law appeals to me due to its client-focused approach, a perspective that I developed from the age of 14, when I began working as a receptionist at my dad's hotel. I witnessed firsthand the importance of customer satisfaction and providing exceptional service. This experience taught me that I care about making money and going the extra mile for customers, retaining their loyalty and satisfaction.

This aligns with how Gibson Dunn has retained a lot of clients because of their client-focused approach, which made them recognised in the BTI Client Service All-Stars, particularly with Scott A. Edelman, Theane Evangelis, and Bradley J. Hamburger being honoured for two consecutive times in both 2022 and 2023.

I would also change the phrase “making money” as a lawyer you aren’t really making money as such, and just the way it is phrased can sound more superficial/like going into investments would be a better career.

Also be mindful that also with this approach you are framing your answer in more of a "this is why I am a suitable candidate" rather than explaining your motivations for the career/the firm.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
So should I change the make money and everything
Its not that you have to change everything - the reference to client service is fine to use, but just try to then take this a step further by why specifically client service in a legal environment is what interests/motivates you.

tosin4774

Jun 6, 2024
Commercial law appeals to me due to its client-focused approach, a perspective that I developed early in life. At 14, I began working as a receptionist at my dad's hotel, where I witnessed firsthand the importance of customer satisfaction and providing exceptional service that makes guests feel valued and taken care of. This mindset of prioritising the needs and experiences of others has greatly influenced my interest in pursuing a career in commercial law, where I can continue to enhance client satisfaction and deliver high-quality service in a legal context. This experience taught me that I care about going the extra mile for customers, retaining their loyalty, and ensuring their continued satisfaction.

I intend to transfer my dedication to exceptional client service to a legal environment where I can apply this customer-centric approach to complex and impactful business decisions, as in commercial law, client service particularly goes beyond addressing immediate needs; it involves understanding a client’s long-term goals, anticipating potential challenges, and crafting tailored legal strategies that protect their interests and facilitate their growth. This proactive, strategic aspect of client service in law will allow me to combine my dedication to exceptional service with my passion for problem-solving and critical thinking, ultimately helping clients navigate legal complexities with confidence and success. This dedication to client service is no wonder Gibson Dunn & Crutcher (Gibson Dunn) has retained a lot of clients because of their client-focused approach, which ranked them fifth in the BTI Client Service 30 service, which features the law firms that are the best of the best at client service.

Is this version better @Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
This is better - I would just make your first sentence of your second paragraph into multiple sentences as it is very long at 63 words.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.