TCLA Community Assistant
Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Does anyone know which city firms are not too picky about grades? This year was my first application cycle and I can't figure out wether I got rejected because of my grades or because of my application. I got a first from a RG uni with final year average 79 and second year average 73 (all marks were 2:1 or above), BUT my first year was a nightmare, averaging mid 2:2 with two thirds and one failed ;( discovery module as I had to juggle uni with 40+ hours work a week and I was not quite good at it. I really don't know whether my app goes straight to the bin because of the first year grades or the issue is my writing style.... I have the equivalent of all A*s/As before uni and I also have zero legal experience (except of InsideSherpa and webinars) but plenty of other customer facing and office jobs. I want to start apply for vac schemes at US firms but I am not sure whether my ambitions are too high.
I suspect your grades are a concern for most of you applied before having your final year results.
Once you had your third year grades and the modules are in a majority of being strong 2.1s or firsts, you are in a much stronger position.
You need to explain you worked 40+ hour weeks though in your first year. And if you have continued to work 40+ hour weeks, getting your current grades and working is exceptional - many firms will take that into consideration if you spell it out for them.
It could easily be down to something else though. Academics are the thing that people think are the issue because they are less subjective and easier to compare than subjective things like work experience or how you write. Most applicants don’t pass either the “career motivation” or “written style” part of an application.
I’d network with US firms to understand whether you are wasting your time or not. No one here will know every individual firm’s preferences enough to comment. They really aren’t uniform - one US firm could love your profile, the next could hate it. You need to connect with them, especially given your situation.
Last edited: