• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

icharl19

Jan 27, 2024
Hi,

I am at a cross-roads in my legal career and I would appreciate people's thoughts on the next logical step!

I am a non-RG graduate with a 1st class degree in law (I ranked 11th in my cohort) who then went to do an LLM at a RG Uni where I gained a Merit (70%). I then accepted a place on a graduate scheme working for a global areospace company as a commercial graduate (which is basically contract management). I have work experience at international organisations and experience as a research assistant.

I have been offered a permanent role following my two year graduate scheme that I am due to start in September. In the meantime, I have been applying for multiple paralegal roles and I have been successful in gaining multiple offers at both city and regional firms. Ultimately, I want to be a trainee solicitor so I do not feel that taking a paralegal role will necessarily get me any closer to the elusive training contract than my current role especially as the work I do now is on high-value commercial contracts. With friends in the profession already, I know my current responsibilities are similar to a lawyer working in procurement, commercial or projects.

I can't decide if it would be better to stay in industry or to take a paralegal role just to be practicing law. I'll also add that I have never applied to any training contracts before as I wasn't certain on the career path until now.

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
As you haven’t applied for training contracts, I would stick to your current job and start applying for TCs. I don’t see the value in effectively downgrading your experience just to work in a legal company.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.