Ask Paul, Weiss Anything!

DanielRG

Oct 9, 2024
Hi all! Thank you for taking some time out of your days to answer our Qs!

My question relates to the link between the US and UK parts of the firm. Is there a sense of connectivity, and that the US partners understand and appreciate the different structure of the UK market (for example, the requirement for training contracts as opposed to a law degree being a post-grad offering)? Either from a recruitment/strategy perspective, or from an associate perspective!

Secondly, as Paul, Weiss is traditionally a litigation focused firm, how is the litigation department supported as part of the firm’s global network?

danielles

Standard Member
Sep 16, 2024
Hello everyone! Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.

My first question is about the LPC—apologies, as I know you likely receive many queries on this topic. As I am still eligible to pursue the LPC, if I were to begin the program in January 2025 and complete it by October 2025, would the firm accept this, or would I still be required to pursue the SQE?

My second question is about making a strong impression in applications. If I am already working at the firm in a support role (such as an assistant or secretary), what are the best ways to stand out when applying for vacation schemes? How can I leverage my existing experience at the firm, even if my current role doesn’t directly involve legal work?

sambhavishivani

Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 3, 2024
I actually wanted to ask about the firm’s take on recruiting international students from Non Russell group universities.
I have a follow up questions as well - Does the firm consider a non-UK law degree holder as a non-law candidate? Because, I have seen a few firms explicitly mentioning about this.

If a candidate is on their student visa but they'll soon be switching to the graduate visa, how should one mention this in their application?

Reactions: Kaushik
Hello, thank you for taking the time to speak to all of us today! I have two questions:

1. As an international student studying in India, how can I make my application stand out? What kind of skills/experiences will be instrumental in showcasing my interest in the firm?
2. Does Paul, Weiss provide visa sponsorship for international students for their vacation scheme?

Looking forward to your response!

fingersarecrossed

Esteemed Member
  • Feb 11, 2024
    Hi Paul, I hope you’re doing well!

I’ve had a look at the LinkedIn profiles of associates at the firm and noticed many Oxbridge graduates.

My question is, how much value does the firm place on university calibre? I graduated from a non-Russell group uni and want to know whether I stand a chance of being interviewed given my academics. Thank you!
    agreed. even though i got a first in a non-russell group uni, i feel barred from applying as majority of the people i found on linkedin who were trainees/associates went to either Oxford/Cambridge/Warwick + your firm has not disclosed any data on legal cheek regarding this.
    -
    As a firm, what exactly are you doing to ACTIVELY take an INTERSECTIONAL approach to recruiting? e.g., social mobility AND ethnnic diversity? Is this a priority for you? I understand all law firms have affinity groups etc, but is there something specific the firm is doing to fix the gap?

Thank you in advance.

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. I am very excited to learn more about the firm! I have a few questions I would love to ask.

1. What makes private equity an exciting practice area to work in? And how is private equity at Paul, Weiss unique from the work of other firms that excel in the area?

2. Could you give us an example of a particularly memorable deal you completed within in the PE practice area and your role?

Kind regards,

Michelle

pb15

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 23, 2021
    Hi All,

Thank you for your time!

Paul, Weiss’ significant private equity clientele definitely means the firm is at the forefront of industry trends. In what ways do you see the realm of private funds (equity and debt) evolving in current market conditions? I’ve read a lot about the private credit boom, and how that has fed into the PE market. Is this something Paul, Weiss has observed?

Thank you for your time!

usingh

Oct 8, 2024
    Good Morning All!

Thank you so much for joining us to answer our questions. My name's Ujjwala and I'm a final year law student. I had a fair few questions, so I thought I'd place them all together:

Questions directed more towards @Paul @ Paul Weiss

1. What does the vacation scheme look like in terms of structure and is it possible to gain sponsorship for it? I'm a third year international student, and my visa will end when I graduate, so it would be fantastic if the firm was able to sponsor that.

2. What are 3 of the top skills the firm is looking for in a successful candidate?

3. Within the work experience section of the application, does graduate recruitment prefer prose or bullet points?

Questions directed more towards @Ali Wathan , @Anthony - Paul Weiss & @Naomi - Paul Weiss :

1. What's your experience been with the firm's affinity groups/DEI initiatives and do you feel supported on a daily basis? What is the firm's culture regarding feedback and do you believe it has helped you grow in your career?

2. What made you choose Paul, Weiss initially/believe it was the right fit for you? Are the initial reasons the same as those that encourage you to stay with the firm now?

3. What does your day entail and what gets you excited about your roles in Private Equity & Litigation?

Last edited:
    Reactions: Lawlife5

Paul @ Paul Weiss

Standard Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Oct 7, 2024
    I actually wanted to ask about the firm’s take on recruiting international students from Non Russell group universities.
    I have a follow up questions as well - Does the firm consider a non-UK law degree holder as a non-law candidate? Because, I have seen a few firms explicitly mentioning about this.

If a candidate is on their student visa but they'll soon be switching to the graduate visa, how should one mention this in their application?
    Hi @sambhavishivani

Thank you for your questions.

1. The university you attend does not feature as part of our entry criteria, so if you haven't attended a RG university, that won't be an issue.
    2. We welcome applications from international students.
    3. If you have a non-UK law degree, you will need to complete a law conversion course ahead of starting the SQE.
    4. There is a section in the application form for you to tell us if you need sponsorship. This won't affect the outcome of your application though.

I hope that helps!

Paul

Elyse123

Jul 8, 2024
    Hi,
    I was wondering what would be a stand out client you have worked with on an M&A transaction and why they stood out for you?

I was also wondering about your culture. Is everyone approachable and would they be willing to have a chat with trainees if they needed help with something ?

sunshine101

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 9, 2022
    Good Morning,
    1. What distinguishes Paul, Weiss’ private equity practice from other firms?
    2. What’s one skill that a future trainee possess at Paul, Weiss?
    3. What is the firms international strategy?
    4. What will be the level of responsibility for a trainee?
    Thank you for answering my questions !

Hi Ali W.! Thanks for your time this morning.
    1. Was your seat in litigation structured so that you could dip your toes in a range of different disputes, i.e., class actions, criminal prosecutions, etc.?
    2. And, as a follow-up, did you feel you could get involved in cases that you were personally intrigued in?
    3. Finally, I understand that P,W handles many different types of disputes. In your experience, which kinds have been most frequently cropping up, either recently or generally?
    Thanks!

ammiel

Dec 30, 2023
    Good Morning! Hope your week thus far has been great.

1. PW has this far impressed with the information it has put out about its TC this year. The firm has 8 offices around the world, could you talk about whether there will be secondment opportunities available for trainees (especially given the newness of the programme). Further, the London office has rapidly expanded in the last 18 months, is this indicative of a broader growth strategy at PW that may see the opening of a new international office in the coming years?

2. Given that this is the first season PW has offered TCs, and you are thus all lateral hires, what would you say attracted you to the firm in contrast to your old firm? For us seeking to be trained by the firm, what have you experienced/what is PW planning to offer trainees (regarding training and development) that stands out from the crowd?

3. Legal Cheek has plenty of information about finish and start times for your competitor firms in London? Obviously, this is a prestigious firm so I expect long hours, but I would like a clearer estimate on where you rank amidst other firms? What time do you start work averagely and when do you finish? Given your youth, how do you feel like you are able to balance the amazing work and having a life aswell? How does it look for those at the partner level who have families?

4. How would you rate the culture at PW? How do you think this enables you to be the best lawyer possible? And how does this reflect on the types of trainees you would like to recruit?

Reactions: ayiiii05 and Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.