• Hey Guest, leading international law firm BCLP is live right now in the forum! This is a perfect opportunity to ask any questions you have to the recruitment team. Ask a question here!

Ask BCLP Anything!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    A very special welcome to BCLP's Legal Recruitment Manager, @Isabel Elsey, in the TCLA forum.

She will be live to answer any questions you have about BCLP.

Please put any questions you have for Izzy by replying to this thread. This is a really good opportunity to ask any questions to help you understand what makes BCLP different, to better understand the application process and what Izzy is looking for, and to determine whether you should apply!

Apply for the London Open Day 2024 by 15 November 2024
    Apply for the Spring Vacation Scheme by 13 December 2024
    Apply for the Summer Vacation Scheme by 17 January 2025.

Amirjavadi

Oct 17, 2024
    Hi Isabel, I have a few questions regarding the vacation scheme applications.

1- For the question “describe a time where you showed courage in the face of adversity. What was the situation and how did you react?” do we need to talk about a challenge we faced in personal life or can it be able to work-related example too?

2- Would it be okay if our answers are below 500 words, but above 350 words?

Thank you!

Isabel Elsey

BCLP Graduate Recruitment
    Oct 15, 2024
    Hi Isabel,

Thanks so much for doing this! I noticed that BCLP has a generous word count of 500 for the application questions.

How would you suggest we structure our answers to ensure that they’re focused on the question and remain concise?

Thanks again! :)
    Hi there,

We give applicants up to 500 words on each question, but that doesn't mean that applicants have to use all of this! This is also the only chance an applicant gets to display their written communication skills, so it is essential that you show these off!

With regards to how to structure them, I would advise picking around 2-3 points that would like to cover and write a paragraph for each of these points. This makes it easier for us as recruiters to review. I would ensure that you are going into enough detail - we receive over 2000 applications, so you need to ensure that you stand out!

DanielRG

Oct 9, 2024
    Hi Isabel, thank you for your time!

I wanted an insight into the transatlantic element of practice. Do staff in the US understand the differences between qualifying as a solicitor in the US (7 years of education) and in the UK (4 years Ed +2 years training)?

Additionally, how common is it for trainees to get their first choice of practice area to qualify into, and how is the trainee->partner retention?

Isabel Elsey

Oct 15, 2024
    Hi Isabel, hope you are well?!

Does BCLP recruit mainly from the vacation scheme then the direct training contract route. I am a career changer so I wanted to know what chances they’re applying directly for the training contract.
    Many thanks

Gisela
    Hi Gisela

We tend to recruit mainly from our Vacation scheme, however, we do leave some places left for those who apply to our direct Training Contract who are unable to take part in our Vacation scheme due to work commitments, childcare, visa restrictions etc.

legally.brown

Legendary Member
  • Sep 27, 2021
    Hi there,

We give applicants up to 500 words on each question, but that doesn't mean that applicants have to use all of this! This is also the only chance an applicant gets to display their written communication skills, so it is essential that you show these off!

With regards to how to structure them, I would advise picking around 2-3 points that would like to cover and write a paragraph for each of these points. This makes it easier for us as recruiters to review. I would ensure that you are going into enough detail - we receive over 2000 applications, so you need to ensure that you stand out!
    Thanks Isabel :) Appreciate the insight!

One last question - With a rolling deadline, when would you say is the right time to apply? but also ensure the application is perfect.

Isabel Elsey

Oct 15, 2024
    Hi Isabel, I have a few questions regarding the vacation scheme applications.

1- For the question “describe a time where you showed courage in the face of adversity. What was the situation and how did you react?” do we need to talk about a challenge we faced in personal life or can it be able to work-related example too?

2- Would it be okay if our answers are below 500 words, but above 350 words?

Thank you!
    Hi there,

Feel free to utilise any example for this question that is honest and genuine - be it personal or a work related example. It's absolutely fine not to utilise the full word limit!

Reactions: Sharon Wu

Isabel Elsey

Oct 15, 2024
    Hi Isabel,

What would be your top tip for preparing for the BCLP test and are there any specific resources we could use to prepare for this.

For the question on how a business generates and maintains profit are we expected to link this back to BCLP as a business or its clients?

Thank you!
    Hi Runsim

With regards to our online test, this is a strengths based assessment based on a candidate's own natural strengths, so it is difficult to fully prepare for. When candidates are sent the link for the online assessment, they are sent a link to the Cappfinity practice hub, which provides example questions to allow candidates to familiarise themselves with the format of the assessment. I would recommend utilising this before completing the test.

With regards to your second question, there is no need to link this to us or one of our clients - I would just pick a strong example that demonstrates the points you are making in practice.

Isabel Elsey

Oct 15, 2024
    Hi Isabel, thank you for your time!

I wanted an insight into the transatlantic element of practice. Do staff in the US understand the differences between qualifying as a solicitor in the US (7 years of education) and in the UK (4 years Ed +2 years training)?

Additionally, how common is it for trainees to get their first choice of practice area to qualify into, and how is the trainee->partner retention?
    Hi Daniel

We spend a lot of time speaking to our US Emerging Talent colleagues, so we are both fully clued up on how each other's route to qualification works :)

When we go through our qualification process, Trainees apply to the practice area they would like to qualify into and then there is an assessment process for that group. At the moment, nearly 25% of our Partners trained at the firm.

Isabel Elsey

Oct 15, 2024
    Hi Runsim

With regards to our online test, this is a strengths based assessment based on a candidate's own natural strengths, so it is difficult to fully prepare for. When candidates are sent the link for the online assessment, they are sent a link to the Cappfinity practice hub, which provides example questions to allow candidates to familiarise themselves with the format of the assessment. I would recommend utilising this before completing the test.

With regards to your second question, there is no need to link this to us or one of our clients - I would just pick a strong example that demonstrates the points you are making in practice.
    @traineedreamer Answer to your question here :)

Reactions: traineedreamer

Isabel Elsey

Oct 15, 2024
    Thanks Isabel :) Appreciate the insight!

One last question - With a rolling deadline, when would you say is the right time to apply? but also ensure the application is perfect.
    We have already begun interviewing for our Spring Vacation Scheme and will look to start on our Summer scheme soon, so I would recommend sooner rather than later to avoid missing out!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Sharon Wu and Jaysen

jsach

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 5, 2022
    Hi Isabelle,

As a slightly older applicant (later 20s) I have built up a lot of experience in various corporate and industry roles, yet when it comes to law applications and interviews this experience is treated in the same way as those who have never had a 9-5 and fresh out of uni/not graduated.

Why is this the case? Would you be able to explain BCLPs viewpoint on the experience section in applications in this regard?

Thanks,
    J

Ayush

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 28, 2023
    Hi Isabel,

For the open day, are spaces limited? Are applications for this reviewed on a rolling basis? Lastly, what level of detail as to our research on BCLP are we expected to provide, given that the Open day will typically be to provide us with a detailed insight into the firm?

Much appreciated.

Isabel Elsey

Oct 15, 2024
    Hi Isabelle,

As a slightly older applicant (later 20s) I have built up a lot of experience in various corporate and industry roles, yet when it comes to law applications and interviews this experience is treated in the same way as those who have never had a 9-5 and fresh out of uni/not graduated.

Why is this the case? Would you be able to explain BCLPs viewpoint on the experience section in applications in this regard?

Thanks,
    J
    Hi J

To start with, we certainly would not consider the above to be the case - the experience you have gained in your previous roles is extremely valuable in terms of building the skillset required to be a lawyer.

That being said, we look for a range of legal and non-legal work experience, so it is essential that you build up on your legal experience if you haven't already done so. This can be done by completing online Forage modules, attending firm open days where applicable, observing your local court in session, or volunteering at your local citizens advice bureau amongst other things.

I hope this helps!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.