• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I wanted to ask if a bad WG score would tank an application? I got ranked in the 30-40th percentile and didn’t think I did that badly on the test (clearly I could be wrong…)

What are these typically benchmarked against?

Thanks!
Is your percentile for an actual assessment or is this a practice test?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
An actual assessment. I got really high scores on practice tests
It is tricky to know the exact benchmark the firm would have - I have known them to be as low as the 17th percentile for some firms but as high as 67/68th percentile for other firms.

It could easily be the case where you are around the middle of these to extremes, that you could have done enough to be considered.

fta2024

Jul 21, 2022
It is tricky to know the exact benchmark the firm would have - I have known them to be as low as the 17th percentile for some firms but as high as 67/68th percentile for other firms.

It could easily be the case where you are around the middle of these to extremes, that you could have done enough to be considered.
I ended up getting rejected actually and that’s why I asked what the score was just in case that would’ve contributed? I thought I really did badly on the test to get in that percentile which was why I was curious as to what they benchmark against

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I ended up getting rejected actually and that’s why I asked what the score was just in case that would’ve contributed? I thought I really did badly on the test to get in that percentile which was why I was curious as to what they benchmark against
It is a possibility.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker do you think it is a good idea to include an except of written feedback for a task I did really well on during a vacation scheme in my work experience section after having talked about that task?
I wouldn’t include the word for word feedback received but you can say in a more concise way something like:

I completed a research note on the use of AI in the Civil Service, which received positive feedback from a partner on its clarity and structure.

Reactions: Lastseasonwonder

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.