• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Allen & Overy Winter Vacation Scheme 2024

I’m_Batman

Valued Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2023
    apparently I lack in every single one of their skills. really interested to know if anyone scored highly and how they did it
    Don't take it personally, these tests are a little silly. I've worked as a Paralegal for 2 years and no one acts like this. Don't let a test result deter you from applying, reapplying, taking your skills where they are recognised. It's a process, we ball.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    I would anticipate these to be fairly straight forward Why this firm? Why law? A time you went above and beyond? Commercial News Q? - this sort of thing unless someone is willing to tell you the exact questions they have had, which I would not anticipate.
    I think this is such a valuable insight, thank you so much for sharing it @google_was_my_idea

Minitomatosalad

Distinguished Member
    Sep 14, 2023
    I would interpret it that you can develop the skill further (but that’s likely to be the case for most people apply for an entry level role) and therefore the report is for your personal benefit, rather than for the firm to use for recruitment purposes.
    Im not sure on this. I took their test 2-3 years ago and it only contained the staged trainee video portion (the ones that took the test will get what I mean) and if you didn’t pass that test it meant none of your application was looked at. Automated rejection. But hopefully they changed to a more holistic approach 🙏

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Im not sure on this. I took their test 2-3 years ago and it only contained the staged trainee video portion (the ones that took the test will get what I mean) and if you didn’t pass that test it meant none of your application was looked at. Automated rejection. But hopefully they changed to a more holistic approach 🙏
    I must stress the report and the test results are actually two different things. The firm has said they are nor using the report, but they will be using the test scores.

Reactions: HarmonyN

FCL25

Jul 26, 2023
    Don't take it personally, these tests are a little silly. I've worked as a Paralegal for 2 years and no one acts like this. Don't let a test result deter you from applying, reapplying, taking your skills where they are recognised. It's a process, we ball.
    Mine came out the exact same - very high on verbal and numerical - everything else was 'this is an area you could improve on'.

I noticed the email from grad rec said:
    "Please note that the report is designed to help candidates develop in all areas, especially within our key competencies. It’s not entirely based on your exact answers, despite how the wording can come across. For peace of mind, I can assure you that we do not look at these reports when reviewing each application."

So cryptic hah. What are they saying here, it basically doesn't matter? Given everyone is getting either a) a blank report or b) the same one, which appears to be automated, I'm not sure what's going on here. @Jessica Booker in your experience how would you interpret that email from GR?
    Good to know! Guess it’s just a little jump scare to add a bit of spice to the application process (at our expense) 😂

• Haha
    Reactions: RBUCL

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.