• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Worried about my grades - What can I do to maximize my chance of securing a vac scheme?

justbreathe

Nov 6, 2023
Hi all, I want to make some good attempts at vac scheme applications this cycle, and I am seeking advice on how to make myself more competitive.
I am interested in all kinds of law firms, not just City firms. The ideal firm for me is one with diverse staff and some sort of international reach, but no need to be a multinational firm.

A little bit about my education background:
- ABB equivalent
- Humanities degree. 2.1 overall, but I had 2.2 overalls in my first and second year. My final year average was a high 2.1 and I did well in my dissertation.
- Mitigating circumstances? I think everyone struggled during Covid so nothing special about my case. I faced some family issues during second year and saw a psychiatrist for depression and anxiety. My grades became a lot better after seeing the psychiatrist so if you have insight on whether I should include this in my application, let me know!

Work experience:
- Several open days at City firms and many law fairs plus virtual work experience on forage, the usual.
- Intern & Paralegal at a high street firm for about 10 months.

What type of firms should I focus my energy on?
How worrying are my 2.2 overalls in the first and second year of uni?

Thanks in advance, good luck to everyone applying in this cycle!

Not sure if it's ok to @Jessica Booker, apologies if not, I am new to posting on the forum.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.