• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Withdrawing from TC

TCquitter

May 19, 2024
Has anyone ever withdrew from a TC midway through?

Im at a city firm and really not enjoying it, and my mental health is at an all time low. The firms culture has an ‘always on’ mentality including weekends and annual leave, and it’s making me not even want to work in law anymore. I’m being degraded at work every day & wont be the first trainee to have quit recently over this.

I understand I might have to pay back the LPC costs. Has anyone ever had this reduced or been offered something else? Is there anything that could mitigate the costs? I’m from a working class background and the debt would impact the next 5-10 years of my life.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yes they do, but I’m not sure how much of it, or if it’s all of them etc- it’s all very vague!
It’s likely to be that they could reclaim it all then. Whether they do or not is a completely different matter though, and I suspect will be on a case by case basis which means it can be difficult to give advice on what’s likely here.

Are you still looking to qualify as a solicitor or do you think you would give the career up entirely? I ask, as that is likely to influence their decision

If you are mid-way through I would instead see if you can change seats (could the issue be with the teams you have sat in rather than the firm as a whole)? I get that it is difficult to continue and I am not suggesting you definitely have to stay on, but for what is likely to be another 12-15 months, I would consider whether you could stick it out (especially if you still want to be a solicitor but not at that firm). If you want to give up the career entirely, then there will be less concerns. If you are looking to just go to another firm, then there could be more demands to reclaim the money.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Alison C and Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.