• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Vac Schemes (winter/summer) or Training contract

jokischUON227

Sep 4, 2024
Greetings all, I am relatively new to this community and I must say that it is perhaps, my greatest find to date in my endeavors of obtaining that TC so many of us want.

As for my situation, I am a third year non law student at a RG Uni, fresh off a month internship with International law firm CMS in Germany, working within Mergers & acquisitions divisions. Given the location of the internship and the culture differences between living in Germany and England, I believe it is in my best interest to apply for positions in the UK. However I am unsure if it is my best bet to apply directly for training contracts or for vacation schemes for this current cycle, given the way candidates on vacation schemes are put on a pathway to obtain a training contract at a later date.

Yet again many Thanks!!! ( all replies are welcome)

( Bit of context: I am a non law student, so will obviously have to complete the SQE)

lawyerdreams

Jul 25, 2024
Non-law students are often advised to apply for vacation schemes in their final year, as this is when they become eligible for most firms! You have to check with each specific firm, but for some firms you will also have to complete the PGDL in the year prior to doing your SQE. Also, you state that vacation scheme candidates obtain a training contract at a later date, however, in each given cycle vacation scheme and direct training contract applicants are usually being assessed for the same intake at a given firm (which for this cycle will be for September 2027 for majority of firms). I am not a non-law student but I hope this was helpful!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
My advice to most people is to apply for vacation schemes in the first instance, where you can because they are a great way for you to work out whether it is a place you want to work at before committing a number of years with a firm you might not be suited to.

However, there will be instances where you will have to choose a direct TC route if:
  • You are not eligible for their vacation scheme programmes
  • You are not available at the time the vacation scheme is running due to other commitments
  • You want to focus on other things like your degree (often the case why some non-law finalist avoid the winter and spring schemes, because they want to do well in their degree).
  • Visa restrictions would not allow you to work during term time
  • You are working and will struggle to get time off work to attend the scheme
If any of these apply to you, then especially because you have your internship with CMS, you should apply for a direct TC route.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.