• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

tinypear

• Mar 24, 2024
    Hi all! I've been a lurker on these threads for a while, so decided to start up my own.

I think maybe I'm a little early to start one of these as I've just finished my first year at a RG uni. I was previously working a full-time job in a different sector but decided to leave it and pursue law. This will be my first cycle. In my first year I took part in some Aspiring Solicitors events, attended an open day and was lucky enough to attend a number of insight schemes. One scheme I got on was Freeths' early talent pathway, and I'm pleased to say that I have converted that into work experience in the summer of 2025.

My plans for the summer and beyond...
    - Aspiring Solicitors Access Programme, which is taking place in July
    - Forage virtual work experience programmes
    - Stay up-to-date with the news to work on my commercial awareness
    - Practice some WGs
    - Use the summer to research firms.

When applications open later in the year, I'll update with stats etc to keep track of my VS applications!

tinypear

• Mar 24, 2024
    Hi everyone, a little update!

I received my grades for my first year, I got an average of a high 2.1 which I'm pretty happy with!

Over the last few weeks I've been doing some virtual work experience through forage and listening to the FT news briefing every morning, along with reading some email newsletters e.g. LittleLaw, Non-Billable and ZipLaw.

Next week I've got the AS Access Programme, and I'm planning to do some research into law firms that I'd like to apply to for vac schemes over the coming weeks! 😁

tinypear

• Mar 24, 2024
    Hello hello!!

Less updates for now as it's summer, but it's building up to application season now. I've started researching law firms that I want to apply for and I've made a little database on Notion for research, priority of firms and to keep track of application statuses. My first application in this cycle will be the winter VS with A&O Shearman 😁

Aside from that, I've started on the AS Aspire Programme and next week I'm going to Jones Day for a session in partnership with AS. I've been working on my commercial awareness and completing some more Forage work experience programmes. I also won a prize for being a top performer in my cohort, which is a HSF insight day!

For the next few weeks, I'm going to do some more research into firms and get some practice WGs in as I tended to struggle with those last year. I've also got a temp summer job which will take up a few days in my summer 😋

flowerpower211

Jun 11, 2024
    Hello hello!!

Less updates for now as it's summer, but it's building up to application season now. I've started researching law firms that I want to apply for and I've made a little database on Notion for research, priority of firms and to keep track of application statuses. My first application in this cycle will be the winter VS with A&O Shearman 😁

Aside from that, I've started on the AS Aspire Programme and next week I'm going to Jones Day for a session in partnership with AS. I've been working on my commercial awareness and completing some more Forage work experience programmes. I also won a prize for being a top performer in my cohort, which is a HSF insight day!

For the next few weeks, I'm going to do some more research into firms and get some practice WGs in as I tended to struggle with those last year. I've also got a temp summer job which will take up a few days in my summer 😋
    Sounds like you’re doing well! You’re journey seems very interesting, what were you working in before you decided to pursue law?

tinypear

• Mar 24, 2024
    A little update for you all as September is upon us and application season is about to be in full swing!

I've applied to A&O Shearman's winter VS and did the SJT today. Over the next few weeks, I've got a bunch of applications to send out. I'm a little nervous for application season! 😋

In other news, my second year starts in around 3 weeks as I'm mentoring first year students during the induction week. I've got a few events in London coming up, including a training day at Freshfields as I'm campus ambassador for my uni and a launch session at Mayer Brown for AS' Bank of America mentoring programme. Exciting things!

I'll be sure to keep updating here with my progress as things ramp up! Maybe a check in once every week or two, to make it into a habit... 😉

tinypear

• Mar 24, 2024
    Hey all, another little update for you!

I've applied to BCLP and taken their test. I also sent off an application to Jones Day. Started an application for Mishcon but had a problem with the work experience section so have had to contact CVMail support :(

I've got a couple of events coming up in London still, and got to attend AS' VDLF on Monday which was cool!

Hope everyone's start-of-application-season is going well!

Reactions: Legalstalker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.