• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lastseasonwonder

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Anyone applying to A&O Middle East? There is a section to add a cover letter, which seems to be compulsory. Is this just the system or does HR/recruitment expect one to be attached? Confused as there are already many application questions.

D

Deleted member 27336

People who have applied to Hogan Lovells, how long will it take to receive the WG test, and do they tell you if you pass/fail (and the timeline to find that out)?

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    People who have applied to Hogan Lovells, how long will it take to receive the WG test, and do they tell you if you pass/fail (and the timeline to find that out)?
    First question it can vary from 24 hours to weeks depending on how busy they are as WG is automatic but they have to send it. Second question yes they do tell you if you passed or failed it and think it is 18 percentile or 30 out of 40 think is their pass mark but I might be wrong on that.

Reactions: NJS

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Eversheds e-mail says after VI is 3 hour written exercise on the 18th Jan (online). I’ve an exam then, can they make me do it another time and do I email them now or only after/if I progress the VI? @Jessica Booker
    Contact them ASAP and ask whether there are some alternative dates to do the assessment and explain you have an exam on that day.

Zaakir

Valued Member
    May 9, 2023
    I've received an AC invite for my dream firm (!!), and I can select two possible days. The AC is from 9am til 4pm and I have PGDL finals exams on both available dates from 9:30-3:45. I've emailed my university and also the law firm but I am so stressed - anyone have any words of wisdom? Praying I can defer an exam.
    Nice! Which firm?

Lastseasonwonder

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    @Jessica Booker

I am applying to a law firm that states the following re mitigating circumstances: "Should you wish to declare any mitigating circumstances, please do so at the bottom of your cover letter".

Therefore, should this be after or before the sign-off? I reckon before the bit where I will say: "thank you for reading my application. I look forward to hearing from you.". What do you think?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker

I am applying to a law firm that states the following re mitigating circumstances: "Should you wish to declare any mitigating circumstances, please do so at the bottom of your cover letter".

Therefore, should this be after or before the sign-off? I reckon before the bit where I will say: "thank you for reading my application. I look forward to hearing from you.". What do you think?
    I don’t think it matters either way. Maybe putting it after your signature, almost like a footnote (as long as it is easy to read) could work as the cover letter just focuses on all the positive evidence and the reference to your mitigating circumstances is more separate to that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.