Spontaneous TC Journey

LillyandSilver

Distinguished Member
Oct 18, 2023
I'm so sorry about Goodwin.
I've followed your journey from the start on here and have every faith in you securing a TC from a firm that is worthy of you and your passion. It is genuinely Goodwin's loss. I know the rejection might be raw right now but you secured two VS from very very good firms, your cycle isn't over yet and even if it was you will have come out with so much experience that next year if you choose to apply you'll ace it.
I was feeling pretty down about the state of my future last year and doing a master's was just what I needed to recalibrate and make up for some poor grades in my final year which I thought would turn every firm off me. There are so many options for you.

AlexJ

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 23, 2022
    Really sorry to hear this, have been following your journey for a while. Although it hurts now, you will be able to take this experience and draw on it in the future. A vac scheme is good experience that you will be able to draw on in future applications. I also encourage you to seek out feedback and apply it to your next vacation scheme, which I have no doubt you will smash.

Goodwin chose to invite you on the VS for a reason, and you would no doubt be able to reach this stage again at a similar firm. You have done so well in your first cycle (I didn't make it past written app stage first time round!) and this will not define you.

Izzy1026

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 23, 2023
    There is a saying in my culture that goes something like "Everything that happens to you is for a good end and you will come to learn of it gradually". I have also been rejected post-VS on my first VS, I understand the frustration you are going through. But I feel post-VS rejections are never an indication of ability. The way I see it, most of the time, if a firm thinks you are good enough for VS you are technically good enough to be a trainee ie. they already think "This person CAN work here". The VS serves more as a "vibe check" for them to decide "Do I want this person to work here?". And this judgement is almost never objective or fair. There are so many factors at play: your own state of mind, your fellow VS cohort, your supervisor, your exit interviewer (and if they are having a bad day when they interviewed u), business needs ... It is essentially a game of chance and luck. So never take it out on yourself for not getting the TC. The recruiters at other law firms would also see a post-VS rejection as more of a misalignment of fit rather than a testament of your lack of ability. You will find new and better opportunities in the future. With a big law name on your resume now, you will only get offers from even better firms, never doubt that!! Good luck x

futuretrainee2024

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 2, 2022
    Really sorry to hear this! I also have 2 schemes this year and feel like I messed up my first one (I don't hear back until august!) You're clearly very capable and intelligent. It might be tough to hear but I say really take in the feedback so you smash the next one!!! We've got this and the journey certainly isn't over. Final push my friendddd :))

adharfield

Jun 25, 2022
    I appreciate the feeling of rejection must be massive for you. Remember the feeling, it means you really wanted it.

You have overachieved in your first cycle securing two vacation schemes when the vast majority don't get something like this until multiple cycles, and to have the experience of a VS before going into a second one is absolutely massive and a privilege. Take the rejection on the chin, get that feedback, and have the confidence to smash the second one. The TC is in touching distance for you, so have that bit of resilience to pick yourself up and smash it.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.