• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Solicitor Apprenticeship Applications

waj0106

Sep 22, 2024
Hi All,

I hope you are well!

I'd love to know how you would you go about answering a question which has 3 questions in 1? Such as this.

A solicitor apprenticeship is a challenging and rewarding 6-year commitment, with a blend of work and study. We are keen to understand why you are attracted to this opportunity. In your response, we would like you to discuss your motivation for joining this apprenticeship programme, your interest in a career in commercial law, and what attracts you to X.

Hope to hear from you soon

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
Hiya @waj0106 :)

Although I haven't applied for a solicitor apprenticeship programme, many of the same considerations apply when answering motivational questions more generally. The way the question is structured gives you some flexibility in deciding which parts to emphasise, but it's a good idea to try and address all three aspects. Additionally, your approach might depend partly on the word count you're given, but assuming a 250-word limit, here’s one way to structure your answer:
  1. Explain your interest in commercial law: Shift to why you are interested in commercial law. For instance, you could mention the opportunity to work across multiple jurisdictions; the ability to offer legal advice to certain clients of the firm whose work you find interesting; or the way commercial lawyers often have to develop a wide range of sectors and industries.

2. Why does this route suit you? There are several benefits of this particular route to qualification, so you'll want to discuss why this route suits you personally. Perhaps it’s the opportunity to learn on the job, gain early exposure to legal professionals, or the flexibility that this route offers compared to more traditional academic routes into the profession.

3. Why this firm? Finally, connect your answer to the specific firm. Explain what attracts you to them. Given the limited word count, I'd encourage you to focus on key practice areas that you find interesting. Make sure to align these convincingly with your own experiences and motivations. When discussing these matters, make sure to link this back to your own career goals and explain why this firm is the right place for you to build your legal career.
Again, this is just a suggestion to help you get started, but I believe reflecting on the points mentioned above will really help you cover each part. Good luck! You got this!

waj0106

Sep 22, 2024
Hi @Ram Sabaratnam :)

Thank you so so much for this! I've been struggling so much, and I'm so glad you responded, I can finally start writing! Following on from your great suggestion, do you think I should make this one big paragraph, or have separate paragraphs so it's easier for the recruiters to read?

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
Hi @waj0106

I think paragraphs are always great. They just make things much easier to read :) This is particularly good to remember when you consider that recruiters are reviewing hundreds of applications. In addition to plain, clear writing, an application that has good organisation and structured paragraphs is much easier to review.

Best of luck!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.