Situational Judgement Test

PC99

Nov 1, 2023
Hey,

I'm a non-law student moving into law and somehow (???) I'm really struggling to get the SJT "correct". Does anyone have any tips to prepare for this? Are there any packs on JobTestPrep that might be useful? I didn't really see any law focussed ones. Any other websites? It's weird that this is the pitfall of my application. For example, in one assessment I got "didn't ask for help enough - didn't collaborate enough" and then the next page said "asked for help too easily", so I'm pretty stumped on why I'm tripping up on this!

Any help would be useful!
Thank you!

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hey,

I'm a non-law student moving into law and somehow (???) I'm really struggling to get the SJT "correct". Does anyone have any tips to prepare for this? Are there any packs on JobTestPrep that might be useful? I didn't really see any law focussed ones. Any other websites? It's weird that this is the pitfall of my application. For example, in one assessment I got "didn't ask for help enough - didn't collaborate enough" and then the next page said "asked for help too easily", so I'm pretty stumped on why I'm tripping up on this!

Any help would be useful!
Thank you!
I totally understand the frustration and I feel like when I was applying last year in my first (and last) application cycle as a non-law masters student I was very disheartened by them.

However, I got a couple of pieces of advice when I was trying to understand how to tackle them in the most effective way and these are:
  • Go on the firm's websites and write down the values, behaviours and qualities they say they look for in a candidate and always have them in front of you when you do an assessment.
  • Try to connect these values to the answer of the test. For instance, you know that HSF promotes a very entrepreneurial spirit (this is just an example), all the competency questions about asking for help will be at the bottom of the rankings whereas the ones that highlight a more personal approach to an issue might go at the top. This is just an example that I hope can clarify what I was saying. This really helped me figure out what law firms wanted me to choose as I was very confused.
I hope these are helpful and good luck with everything you are doing! @PC99

PC99

Nov 1, 2023
I totally understand the frustration and I feel like when I was applying last year in my first (and last) application cycle as a non-law masters student I was very disheartened by them.

However, I got a couple of pieces of advice when I was trying to understand how to tackle them in the most effective way and these are:
  • Go on the firm's websites and write down the values, behaviours and qualities they say they look for in a candidate and always have them in front of you when you do an assessment.
  • Try to connect these values to the answer of the test. For instance, you know that HSF promotes a very entrepreneurial spirit (this is just an example), all the competency questions about asking for help will be at the bottom of the rankings whereas the ones that highlight a more personal approach to an issue might go at the top. This is just an example that I hope can clarify what I was saying. This really helped me figure out what law firms wanted me to choose as I was very confused.
I hope these are helpful and good luck with everything you are doing! @PC99
Thank you so much! I will try this approach!

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.