• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Should I leave my current role for a job in a Magic Circle billings department?

Marcus123

May 18, 2024
So I currently work for an IB in their operations department and recently got a new job offer in a different department ( non legal), after completing a FTC there. I had an interview for an MC firm in their finance/billings department, and think it went well, and has a similar salary. I haven’t signed a contract and have only given verbal acceptance to the role at my current company. I’m planning to do a law conversion course in 2025, have a first class non-law BA from a low-mid RG university and have ABC at A level. I like the new team at my current job and want to work in capital markets/commodities law (new job at current firm is allied to this). I know it’s silly but I feel quite bad about leaving my current company - and think I could grow my knowledge of financial and capital markets at it, which would benefit my career. If I get the MC job should I take it, as it’s in a law firm, particularly an MC firm. I have no legal work experience currently, but have a vac scheme in August at a US employment law firm. What would be best for future career option in your opinions. Thanks for the help everyone just need a bit of help to weigh it all out.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
So I currently work for an IB in their operations department and recently got a new job offer in a different department ( non legal), after completing a FTC there. I had an interview for an MC firm in their finance/billings department, and think it went well, and has a similar salary. I haven’t signed a contract and have only given verbal acceptance to the role at my current company. I’m planning to do a law conversion course in 2025, have a first class non-law BA from a low-mid RG university and have ABC at A level. I like the new team at my current job and want to work in capital markets/commodities law (new job at current firm is allied to this). I know it’s silly but I feel quite bad about leaving my current company - and think I could grow my knowledge of financial and capital markets at it, which would benefit my career. If I get the MC job should I take it, as it’s in a law firm, particularly an MC firm. I have no legal work experience currently, but have a vac scheme in August at a US employment law firm. What would be best for future career option in your opinions. Thanks for the help everyone just need a bit of help to weigh it all out.
The only real benefit of the MC firm is being an internal candidate with that one MC firm, and some firms then restrict you from when you can apply as an internal candidate - some firms will say you have to accumulate 6-12 months experience to be considered as an internal candidate and leverage your feedback/performance.

Staying with your current employer will also show not only longevity but that the company values you enough for you to be considered for an internal move.

Ultimately though you should weigh up the job you want to do and also which one is the more complex in terms of responsibilities and potential learning. It sounds like you will only be looking to do the role for around 12-14 months anyway, if your plans are to do the GDL next year, and so I don’t think it really matters which one you choose in the grand scheme of things.

It sounds like your preference if with your current employer though and that you are only being swayed by having a MC firm on your CV. I don’t think that will have as great an impact as you suggest, especially across the MC firms. If it is with one MC firm you particularly like/want a TC with, then the dynamic is slightly different, but could still not be straight forward depending on what their policy is on internal applicants applying.

Reactions: Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.