• Hey Guest, Join our event on 'How to Secure a Training Contract with Paul, Weiss at 6pm today. Register Here!
  • Discover the differences between law firms in our new Law Firm Directory 🚀.

Should I apply for VacationScheme/Training Contract or NQ positions?

johnjohn1997

Standard Member
Sep 22, 2024
Hello, I am a foreign lawyer in a common law jurisdiction (with 1 PQE). I plan to move to UK and to qualify as a solicitor in the UK via the SQE route. In additon, I plan to pursue a LLM in London as I want to further my academic goal and to build networks.

After passing the SQE and while studying LLM, I am confused as to whether I should still apply for VS/TC in law firms or directly apply for NQ positions? Becuase I am not sure if I will be over-qualified for VS/TC on the one hand, while lacking local legal epxerience for NQ position on the other hand.

Would anyone share any insights regarding such career route? Thank you a lot!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello, I am a foreign lawyer in a common law jurisdiction (with 1 PQE). I plan to move to UK and to qualify as a solicitor in the UK via the SQE route. In additon, I plan to pursue a LLM in London as I want to further my academic goal and to build networks.

After passing the SQE and while studying LLM, I am confused as to whether I should still apply for VS/TC in law firms or directly apply for NQ positions? Becuase I am not sure if I will be over-qualified for VS/TC on the one hand, while lacking local legal epxerience for NQ position on the other hand.

Would anyone share any insights regarding such career route? Thank you a lot!
As you only have 1 years' experience in another jurisdiction, most people will advise you to go for VS/TC roles as you won't be able to compete with the vast majority of candidates at NQ level who will have 2 years' experience working on English law matters.

The general rule is most firms will discount 2-3 years' qualified experience in another jurisdiction before considering someone as comparable to a candidate who trained in England and Wales.

johnjohn1997

Standard Member
Sep 22, 2024
As you only have 1 years' experience in another jurisdiction, most people will advise you to go for VS/TC roles as you won't be able to compete with the vast majority of candidates at NQ level who will have 2 years' experience working on English law matters.

The general rule is most firms will discount 2-3 years' qualified experience in another jurisdiction before considering someone as comparable to a candidate who trained in England and Wales.
i see. Thank you Jessica. Regarding the timeline, I have checked that some law firms are already recruting TC 2027, does that mean I have to apply for VS/TC way before I start my intended LLM program ? Or should I apply for them during my LLM program by using the career services offered by the law schools?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
i see. Thank you Jessica. Regarding the timeline, I have checked that some law firms are already recruting TC 2027, does that mean I have to apply for VS/TC way before I start my intended LLM program ? Or should I apply for them during my LLM program by using the career services offered by the law schools?
If you want to start a TC in 2027 or 2028, you should apply this cycle rather than waiting for your LLM to start. Firms are likely to be recruiting for 2028/29 by the time you start your LLM.

johnjohn1997

Standard Member
Sep 22, 2024
But would it be not practicable for law firms to make an offer of TC to me, considering that I have not even started the potential LLM yet?
If that is the case, would applying for paralegal be a practicable choice? Or should I apply for both positions?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
But would it be not practicable for law firms to make an offer of TC to me, considering that I have not even started the potential LLM yet?
If that is the case, would applying for paralegal be a practicable choice? Or should I apply for both positions?
It is not an issue that your LLM hasn’t started.

You can apply for both sets of positions though if you feel it’s appropriate to apply for both.

johnjohn1997

Standard Member
Sep 22, 2024
If I apply for TC, there will be assessment centres and physical interviews. However, I will be still in my current jurisdiction and will only arrive UK shortly before the LLM program starts. If I am applying for the TC 2027 cycle, would there be a chance that the assessment would already start before my intended arrival in UK, and thus jeopardise my application? Or would there be accomodation for international applicants?

johnjohn1997

Standard Member
Sep 22, 2024
It is not an issue that your LLM hasn’t started.

You can apply for both sets of positions though if you feel it’s appropriate to apply for both.
Because on the other hand I’m not sure if I should wait to use the career resources offered by law schools during LLM to find TC, and would that be more beneficial for securing a TC.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Because on the other hand I’m not sure if I should wait to use the career resources offered by law schools during LLM to find TC, and would that be more beneficial for securing a TC.
The resources at university should complement your own activities to ensure you secure a TC. You can’t really rely on university support, and this can vary quite massively in terms of quality from university anyway.

johnjohn1997

Standard Member
Sep 22, 2024
The resources at university should complement your own activities to ensure you secure a TC. You can’t really rely on university support, and this can vary quite massively in terms of quality from university anyway.
If I apply for TC, there will be assessment centres and physical interviews. However, I will be still in my current jurisdiction and will only arrive UK shortly before the LLM program starts. If I am applying for the TC 2027 cycle, would there be a chance that the assessment would already start before my intended arrival in UK, and thus jeopardise my application? Or would there usually be accomodation for international applicants?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.