• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Resources for Black Letter Law

John Doe 555 333

Gold Member
Premium Member
May 17, 2022
Hi guys,

I am currently an SQE LLM student with BPP. The issue is that I found the resources available for reviewing the "black letter" component of the SQE 1 rather lackluster. Therefore, I wanted to ask for recommendations in terms of resources I should use to review that component? I have heard that both the ULAW and Revise SQE books are good, but I am concerned that learning the stuff from the textbook will not be enough in itself.

Thank you for your advice.

Reactions: okital42

Kay Aston

Star Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 8, 2024
Hi @John Doe 555 333 - appreciate this post was a few days ago, did you manage to find any good resources?

I study my LLM SQE with Ulaw, and I find the textbooks provided to be very good but (almost unmanageably) detailed. Therefore, I prefer to utilise more concise notes such as the Revise SQE books, and the Devils Advocate notes. You are right that learning the stuff from the textbook will not necessarily be enough just because it is such an application-focussed exam. For that reason, everyone that I know that has passed the SQE already has said that (for the black letter law AND for the new content), the real key to passing is question practice, question practice, and more question practice!

I would appreciate hearing from others who have studied the SQE, and what resources worked best for them!

Reactions: Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.