• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

possible 2:2 in first year, do i still apply for vac schemes in second year?

tobywstress

Standard Member
Nov 9, 2022
So I have received my first year grades averaging 58% as follows
Contract : high 2:2
Tort : high 2:2
Legal theory : low 2:1
Public : ungraded but my Jan exam was a mid/high 2;1

As it stands, my overall grade may reach 2:1 if my Public Law derived mark follows my January results. For A-levels, I have AAB equivlent.
Should I still apply to any city firms next year given my grades were so bad? For applicant background, I am studying at RG uni and have done some open days at US firms in first year. I also have some non-legal experience at theatre technician.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Most city law firms will have a 2.1 requirement, and so you won’t meet that until your have your January deferred result, which will be after most firms have closed their applications.

You may find a small number of other opportunities in the legal sector that don’t require a 2.1 though, and so you could apply to them.

However, I would encourage to invest time into getting your grades up in the first instance.

Reactions: laurabeaumont

tobywstress

Standard Member
Nov 9, 2022
Most city law firms will have a 2.1 requirement, and so you won’t meet that until your have your January deferred result, which will be after most firms have closed their applications.

You may find a small number of other opportunities in the legal sector that don’t require a 2.1 though, and so you could apply to them.

However, I would encourage to invest time into getting your grades up in the first instance.
is my high 2:2 contract grade an auto rejection?

h79

Standard Member
Jan 28, 2023
I really don't think it's too much of an issue. Made good progress in VC applications with 61 average in first year, with some 2.2 modules. As long as you start second year well you should be fine..

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
So I have received my first year grades averaging 58% as follows
Contract : high 2:2
Tort : high 2:2
Legal theory : low 2:1
Public : ungraded but my Jan exam was a mid/high 2;1

As it stands, my overall grade may reach 2:1 if my Public Law derived mark follows my January results. For A-levels, I have AAB equivlent.
Should I still apply to any city firms next year given my grades were so bad? For applicant background, I am studying at RG uni and have done some open days at US firms in first year. I also have some non-legal experience at theatre technician.
These grades at not the end of the road at all !

How much does your first year contribute to your degree overall? As long as you are on your way to a 2:1 (the requirement for most firms), you should be okay! I would do this by throwing yourself into your studies next term and demonstrate some high grades in your formative essays. That way, you can demonstrate an upward trajectory, as well as of course having an overall great application and commercial awareness.

Laura :)

tobywstress

Standard Member
Nov 9, 2022
These grades at not the end of the road at all !

How much does your first year contribute to your degree overall? As long as you are on your way to a 2:1 (the requirement for most firms), you should be okay! I would do this by throwing yourself into your studies next term and demonstrate some high grades in your formative essays. That way, you can demonstrate an upward trajectory, as well as of course having an overall great application and commercial awareness.

Laura :)
My first year doesn’t contribute to the overall classification. I’m just worried that I would never stand a chance with first year 2:2.

My formatives and January exams in first year were good (mid to high 2:1). I made a huge mistake in one of the exam questions and turned the final grade to very low.

Thank you for the advice! Going to work even more this year.

hannah04

Legendary Member
Jan 9, 2023
I agree with all of the above, most firms are just looking that you're "on track to achieve a 2:1!" If you do end up applying to vac schemes next year, I would recommend just being mindful that some firms have stricter requirements than others - for example I know Norton Rose asks for a 2:1 in Contract and Tort. But other firms I looked at, I can't recall right now which, don't have any stated requirements for university grades so it really depends from firm to firm.

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
My first year doesn’t contribute to the overall classification. I’m just worried that I would never stand a chance with first year 2:2.

My formatives and January exams in first year were good (mid to high 2:1). I made a huge mistake in one of the exam questions and turned the final grade to very low.

Thank you for the advice! Going to work even more this year.
Keep going - never a reason to give up at the beginning. I only see this driving you further to your goal!

Reactions: PutItThereMan

Sulaiman

Jul 10, 2024
No - but your 58% average overall might be for many firms.
Hi, can I ask if my 59.27% average would be offputting for firms? I am unsure of whether I should apply to resit my worst module as I am panicking over whether firms will even bat an eye at me after I got a 47/100 for contract law. As it stands, i am at a 2:2 but in total i am 3 marks away from a 2:1. sadly, this is time sensitive, but could you help advise me? if it helps, i received an unflattering a-level grade of BBB but i have some mitigating circumstances regarding mental health issues and the likes. also, first year contributes 0% towards my overall classification if that helps

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, can I ask if my 59.27% average would be offputting for firms? I am unsure of whether I should apply to resit my worst module as I am panicking over whether firms will even bat an eye at me after I got a 47/100 for contract law. As it stands, i am at a 2:2 but in total i am 3 marks away from a 2:1. sadly, this is time sensitive, but could you help advise me? if it helps, i received an unflattering a-level grade of BBB but i have some mitigating circumstances regarding mental health issues and the likes
Some firms will require a 2.1 average unfortunately. Resitting a module doesn’t necessarily help with applications in all honesty. For most firms, you need to declare the original result or declare any resits.

I would focus on getting the upcoming year grades up and focus on your health too if this has impacted your grades. It’s far better to try and get yourself in a stronger position for the next cycle rather than fixating on this year’s results. You still have the opportunity to improve your grades, and that should be your priority, whether directly by focusing on your academics or indirectly by focusing on improving your health.

Sulaiman

Jul 10, 2024
Some firms will require a 2.1 average unfortunately. Resitting a module doesn’t necessarily help with applications in all honesty. For most firms, you need to declare the original result or declare any resits.

I would focus on getting the upcoming year grades up and focus on your health too if this has impacted your grades. It’s far better to try and get yourself in a stronger position for the next cycle rather than fixating on this year’s results. You still have the opportunity to improve your grades, and that should be your priority, whether directly by focusing on your academics or indirectly by focusing on improving your health.
Thank you very much for the honesty. I was genuinely very uncertain as to what I could possibly do in my position and had been debating taking the resit so that my average would be up to a 2:1, even if barely crossing the threshold - 67.1%, 53%, 55%, 55% 77.17%, 47%. I am still curious though, if I resat and bumped my average to a 2.1 or above, would this put me back into the running for those aforementioned firms? Or would they notice that I had to resit and that would put me out of the competition?

I suppose that is a fruitless endeavour and that I should focus on my health and grades from this point onwards, as you've stated. Still, I am quite gutted that I've taken myself out of the race for the top firms due to things like crippling mental health issues but I suppose I should turn my focus to next year rather than continue dwelling as there is little to be done to salvage those opportunities besides networking and the likes, or so I'd assume. Thanks once again.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you very much for the honesty. I was genuinely very uncertain as to what I could possibly do in my position and had been debating taking the resit so that my average would be up to a 2:1, even if barely crossing the threshold - 67.1%, 53%, 55%, 55% 77.17%, 47%. I am still curious though, if I resat and bumped my average to a 2.1 or above, would this put me back into the running for those aforementioned firms? Or would they notice that I had to resit and that would put me out of the competition?

I suppose that is a fruitless endeavour and that I should focus on my health and grades from this point onwards, as you've stated. Still, I am quite gutted that I've taken myself out of the race for the top firms due to things like crippling mental health issues but I suppose I should turn my focus to next year rather than continue dwelling as there is little to be done to salvage those opportunities besides networking and the likes, or so I'd assume. Thanks once again.
There will be opportunities with firms and other organisations who don’t require a 2.1. It might be worthwhile focusing more so on them over the next 12 months.

You can resit and if you think that is the right thing to do for you, then you should. It just isn’t an automatic fix as most firms will want to know about resits. Resits do not put you out of the running for firms but they will be careful to scrutinise grades where they have been resat. It’s a lot easier focusing on one subject than it is doing multiple subjects at the same time, and so it is easier to get a higher grade.

Sulaiman

Jul 10, 2024
There will be opportunities with firms and other organisations who don’t require a 2.1. It might be worthwhile focusing more so on them over the next 12 months.

You can resit and if you think that is the right thing to do for you, then you should. It just isn’t an automatic fix as most firms will want to know about resits. Resits do not put you out of the running for firms but they will be careful to scrutinise grades where they have been resat. It’s a lot easier focusing on one subject than it is doing multiple subjects at the same time, and so it is easier to get a higher grade
I am generally a very indecisive person but I want to become a solicitor down the line and surely resitting to get a 2.1 would help even if they do scrutinise it? Also, would I be worse off if I resat and got the same overall grade than if I didn't resit at all? I ask because I am uncertain on the view towards resits when it comes to firms. I have kind of been lead to believe that the firms that ask about first-year grades despite them not counting towards the classification would also be the firms to look down upon resits and prefer it to have applicants who have not resat an exam. Furthermore, if I did manage to secure a 2.1 due to an increase in the exam I would want to resit, would these firms that scrutinise resits be bothered by my original mark despite the fact that the resit would have altered it?

I am unsure if a resit is the right thing for me but the notion of some firms closing their doors to me is very upsetting and makes me want to consider the resit. I am also quite frustrated that I was ever so close to a 2.1 but mental health issues etc stunted my performance. I know some firms will ask about mitigating circumstances so perhaps a 2.2 is not the end of the world, especially considering how I will almost definitely improve in 2nd year, but I am just so very frustrated as my prospects are now limited far more than I had originally imagined. As first year does not count towards my final degree classification, would it be a pipe dream to think that a 2.1 or 1st in my next 2 years can salvage my entire degree?

Also, I've noticed that you mentioned how there's only a small number of opportunities for firms that accept below 2.1. Does this not mean I should resit if I can improve the singular mark that will boost my grade above a 2.2? I do not enjoy the idea of being sidelined due to my performance in second year and I can still change it if I resit and do well enough to move up to 2.1, no? I am just a bit confused as you did not mention if this was only for first year or the overall classification.

I am very sorry for the many questions but I am quite panicked as I have been informed of my ability to gain standing in an application for an appeal just yesterday at 11pm with the deadline being today at midnight.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am generally a very indecisive person but I want to become a solicitor down the line and surely resitting to get a 2.1 would help even if they do scrutinise it? Would I be worse off if I resat and got the same overall grade than if I didn't resit at all? I ask because I am uncertain on the view towards resits when it comes to firms. I have kind of been lead to believe that the firms that ask about first-year grades would also be the firms to look down upon resits and prefer it to have applicants who have not resat an exam.

I am unsure if a resit is the right thing for me but the notion of some firms closing their doors to me is very upsetting and makes me want to consider the resit. I am also quite frustrated that I was ever so close to a 2.1 but mental health issues etc stunted my performance. I know some firms will ask about mitigating circumstances so perhaps a 2.2 is not the end of the world, especially considering how I will almost definitely improve in 2nd year, but I am just so very frustrated as my prospects are now limited far more than I had originally imagined. As first year does not count towards my final degree classification, would it be a pipe dream to think that a 2.1 or 1st in my next 2 years can salvage my entire degree?

I am very sorry for the many questions but I am quite panicked as I have been informed of my ability to gain standing in an application for an appeal just yesterday at 11pm with the deadline being today at midnight.
I would speak to your university and personal tutor about resitting. They will give you a clearer idea of whether it is worthwhile from an academic perspective. You need to check whether it would actually increase your grade, as for many universities grades can be capped at the original result. It is also going to depend on when you resit - resitting any exams this summer will be different to resitting the whole module in your second year.

How firms view resits is going to vary from firm to firm. There is no set approach to this.

Your opportunities will only be limited for the next six months. If you get your grades up, your first year grades become less relevant. Getting a strong/consistent 2.1 or 1st in your modules this year (and even in your final year) will dramatically change how your academic profile is considered.

Sulaiman

Jul 10, 2024
I would speak to your university and personal tutor about resitting. They will give you a clearer idea of whether it is worthwhile from an academic perspective. You need to check whether it would actually increase your grade, as for many universities grades can be capped at the original result. It is also going to depend on when you resit - resitting any exams this summer will be different to resitting the whole module in your second year.

How firms view resits is going to vary from firm to firm. There is no set approach to this.

Your opportunities will only be limited for the next six months. If you get your grades up, your first year grades become less relevant. Getting a strong/consistent 2.1 or 1st in your modules this year (and even in your final year) will dramatically change how your academic profile is considered.
Unfortunately, my personal tutor is not allowed to provide advice on the topic at hand and can only provide advice on the process. The resit would take place one month from now, August 12th and would just be an attempt at improving my contract % from a 47 to at least a 50. This would in turn bump my grade from a high 2:2 to a low, barely, 2:1. In any case, I have mitigating/extenuating (I am not too sure of the difference) circumstances that affected my grades, such as mental health issues and the loss of a close family member's newborn, and thus I will surely do better next year.

I will do my best at attaining a consistent higher grade, as I had previously attained consistent 2.1s in my formatives and I believe this is a more accurate reflection of my current progress at university.

Overall, I think I will let the idea of a resit go and focus on the years where my performance does count towards my degree.

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.