• Hey Guest, leading international law firm BCLP is live right now in the forum! This is a perfect opportunity to ask any questions you have to the recruitment team. Ask a question here!

Open days

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
Hiya @vedikaaa

It's great that you're thinking of applying to open days! They're an excellent way to get a real sense of a firm's work and culture. When asked what you hope to gain from attending, I recommend focusing on the specific insights you want to take away. This could range from understanding a firm's key practice areas to learning more about their culture or having the chance to speak with experienced lawyers and trainees. Tailoring your answer to the specific firm and keeping it structured will help.

To get you started, here’s a possible approach to answering the question:
  1. Start with your main goal: For example, "I want to gain a deeper understanding of [Firm X]'s work in key areas such as Litigation or Corporate M&A." Or, "I'm eager to get insight into the day-to-day culture that defines [Firm X]."

2. Be specific about work/culture: If you're discussing the firm's culture, aim to be precise. Instead of broad statements, you could mention things like their diversity and inclusion initiatives or their distinctive style of training and supporting trainees. Alternatively, if you're mentioning a firm's practice area, what specifically is it about the firm's work in this area that interests you? Is it their work for certain types of clients? The way their practice area is carried out in certain types of industries, sectors, or regions?

3. Be personal: Beyond referencing your research, tie it to your personal interests and reasons for wanting to attend the open day and pursue commercial law. Is there something about their practice areas or social initiatives that resonates with you? Why are these important to you, and how will they fuel your interest in commercial law?
These are just pointers to get you started, but feel free to put your own spin on things. Good luck!

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
its an event with 5 firms- CC, A&O, Slaughter and May, Linklaters and Freshfields so wanted to balance specificity with broader strokes

Hi @vedikaaa :)

I think this is a great start. You're absolutely right - given that there are several other firms involved in the event, it's best to balance specificity whilst writing more broadly about what you hope to gain by attending the event. Best of luck!

Kiyala Matanga

Sep 21, 2024
its an event with 5 firms- CC, A&O, Slaughter and May, Linklaters and Freshfields so wanted to balance specificity with broader strokes
Hey Vedikaa, my name is Kiyala, I am looking to submit my applications for this season. I would love to know what the event that you mentioned is called? Can I still book my place? I am looking for industry events so I can build rapport with firms such as Freshfields and CC.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.