Online LLB from UOL credibility

TitoTL

Oct 3, 2024
Hi, new member here but aspiring lawyer and current student, I was studying law at SOAS UOL in september 2023 but due to medical issues had to drop out and completely move out of London. I was wondering if doing the UOL LLB online for 2024/2025 is a worthy pathway as opposed to going to a less recognised university nearer to me albeit it being in person. Do firms look down upon this route as a non mature law student also feel like doing a degree online will give me more time to get legal work experience as I just completed a 6 month internship in my “gap year” pls advice me as my family are not too supportive of my career ambitions right now

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, new member here but aspiring lawyer and current student, I was studying law at SOAS UOL in september 2023 but due to medical issues had to drop out and completely move out of London. I was wondering if doing the UOL LLB online for 2024/2025 is a worthy pathway as opposed to going to a less recognised university nearer to me albeit it being in person. Do firms look down upon this route as a non mature law student also feel like doing a degree online will give me more time to get legal work experience as I just completed a 6 month internship in my “gap year” pls advice me as my family are not too supportive of my career ambitions right now
Finding part-time work will be trickier in the legal sector - roles do exist, but they are far fewer than the full-time roles you would have experienced in your gap year, so I would factor that into any plans you have.

An online course with UoL will be fine but an online course will bring other challenges. You will have less ability to build extracurricular activities or be involved in a student community, which is one of the major benefits of going to a local university instead. You could balance this out with getting involved in your local community instead.

Reactions: TitoTL

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.