• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Norton Rose Fulbright Training Contract Application 2025

Update on status of application post-psychometric tests

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

al97

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
May 30, 2023
Did yours also last exactly 20min? Did you have any follow up questions or did they simply ask four pre-determined questions? I was told we would hear back starting next week.
Hi Kevin, thanks for sharing this! I did my TI, I think it went well (I did the best I could). I have a question for those who have completed theirs. Did they ask you any technical questions or more than one commercial awareness question?

For those who have not completed your TI, my experience is that they seem to like someone who is more laid-back as opposed to a formal conversation, so try to let your personality shine through! An advice I got from a trainee is: try to keep your answer around 3-4 sentences, for myself I kept it below 2 mins!

M0M007

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Apr 6, 2023
Hi Kevin, thanks for sharing this! I did my TI, I think it went well (I did the best I could). I have a question for those who have completed theirs. Did they ask you any technical questions or more than one commercial awareness question?

For those who have not completed your TI, my experience is that they seem to like someone who is more laid-back as opposed to a formal conversation, so try to let your personality shine through! An advice I got from a trainee is: try to keep your answer around 3-4 sentences, for myself I kept it below 2 mins!
Thats helpful! How many questions were asked during the TI?

NMA

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 19, 2020

two commercial awareness related questions for me. I hope they didn't just want short answers like you said, one of mine I spoke for like 4 minutes to get everything in there hahaha

Louise59

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Feb 13, 2023
    two commercial awareness related questions for me. I hope they didn't just want short answers like you said, one of mine I spoke for like 4 minutes to get everything in there hahaha
    Hi - when you say commercial awareness questions, is it like a question on a deal or ‘please explain this concept’ type of question?

Kevin1234

Star Member
    Aug 1, 2023

How long did your TI last? Just 10/12min? I am sceptical though that 3/4 sentences would suffice for a TI, especially considering it is an opportunity to demonstrate your argumentation skills by providing examples and showing your personality.

MPSMM

Star Member
  • Jul 3, 2023
    I did my TI and heard back today that I didn't get through, so applications again on the next round 😔.
    Thanks for sharing! I'm sure this will be very helpful for those that are yet to complete their TI.

Sorry to hear that you were unsuccessful following the TI. I hope your remaining applications or next cycle go well!

I suspect many will want to know, since you heard back today, when did you do your TI? Also did you hear back via email or phone?

Thanks

al97

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    May 30, 2023

I did my TI and heard back today that I didn't get through, so applications again on the next round 😔.
    So kind of you to share, hope this helps those who have not completed it. I still have not heard back, which is worrying! May I know how many days did you wait?

Also, do you mind sharing the reasons you think you were unsuccessful? I hope this question isn't too intrusive! Did they give you feedback? I hope they did because it takes a lot to get to this stage!

al97

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    May 30, 2023
    How long did your TI last? Just 10/12min? I am sceptical though that 3/4 sentences would suffice for a TI, especially considering it is an opportunity to demonstrate your argumentation skills by providing examples and showing your personality.
    Oh no I kept it around 2 mins and just a little over. 3-4 sentences is advice from a trainee, I supposed he meant a long sentence. For me when I practice my TI, I will keep a timer on to make sure I don't start rambling. Also, when it comes to commercial awareness questions, I also made sure to pause and ask if I'm going too fast, I think that's a great way to show that I'm an interactive/active listener, but this is just me, it could totally be wrong so it's definitely not a piece of advice, just what I did!

reece92

Premium Member
    Aug 6, 2023
    Thanks for sharing! I'm sure this will be very helpful for those that are yet to complete their TI.

Sorry to hear that you were unsuccessful following the TI. I hope your remaining applications or next cycle go well!

I suspect many will want to know, since you heard back today, when did you do your TI? Also did you hear back via email or phone?

Thanks
    Sure I did mine on the 14th and heard back today (16th) via email.

reece92

Premium Member
    Aug 6, 2023
    So kind of you to share, hope this helps those who have not completed it. I still have not heard back, which is worrying! May I know how many days did you wait?

Also, do you mind sharing the reasons you think you were unsuccessful? I hope this question isn't too intrusive! Did they give you feedback? I hope they did because it takes a lot to get to this stage!
    They got back to me in two days via email.
    Yes, I know exactly why I failed. Qs 3&4, this was my first TI, and I absolutely did not keep composure, I answered what CA is but now how I maintain it. As for Q.3, I was taken aback by how vague the question was, but in retrospect, realised I Should have taken the question to mean why a TC at NRF and gone into the reasons I had prepared. However, I didn't do that I was stuck on it being such a vague question and gave a vague answer. So yeah, my take-home points are, if you get asked a compounded question, take note of the question(and sub-questions) on a piece of paper, and as you answer, tick it off. as for vague questions, take a moment to think before answering and try to figure out why this is being asked. Ahh, well, from my side, lesson learnt and on to the next cycle. Good luck to all of you still in the game.

P.S.
    They didn't give me this feedback, I realised all this about 30mins after the call lol.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.