• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Mitigating Circumstances

Himisha

Gold Member
Premium Member
May 20, 2024
Hi Jessica,

I hope you are well!

I am currently writing training contact applications. I achieved a 2:1 in my degree. Unfortunately, I faced two occasions of bereavement (both of which were close family members) in my first and second years at university. I hesitated to write about these in my application 'mitigating circumstances' section. I did not want to remind myself of my setbacks in my first two years at university. I achieved 59% in my second year, barely attending university and moved back home to support my family. I am reading the threads below, and writing about this might help with my applications and justify why I achieved the grade I earned in my second year. However, I am still trying to figure out the best way to do this. The university was well aware of my situation, providing 1:1 in-house councillor sessions and multiple personal tutor meetings in my final year to help find ways to improve my grade, so my personal tutor is always someone I write as a referee in my applications.

I would really appreciate your advice on this.

Himisha

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.