Low 2.1 (1st year) from Oxbridge

badmintonflyinginsect

Star Member
Premium Member
Jan 26, 2023
I just received my first year results and scored a low 2.1 (63). I'm a student at Oxbridge and was aiming to apply to firms like Latham and Davis Polk... do you reckon I'm better off not applying for their vac schemes? I still have my third term of first year left to cover (which includes Tort and Contract law and I could definitely work my way up to get a high predicted and possibly use this as an indicator for academic improvement). I have attended a few Open Days/first year schemes, and will be doing a summer internship in M&A over the summer before my second year.

Last edited:

badmintonflyinginsect

Star Member
Premium Member
Jan 26, 2023
will you get your contract and tort grades this summer?
No, our first year exam results only include the 3 modules & we won't have official examinations until the end of third year now so the rest (from last term of first year till the end of the degree) will only be predicted.

Edit: For more context, I've held (and will be holding) committee positions in my university's law/business societies, and the Open Days I have attended/will be attending are at Davis Polk/Gibson Dunn, etc. I received an offer from Milbank for their Open Day but couldn't make it as I was outside EU. I'm working on a Strategy/Consulting challenge this term and will be joining the Uni's M&A Academy at the beginning of my second year. Would my extracurriculars, in addition to my summer internship, change anything?

Last edited:

badmintonflyinginsect

Star Member
Premium Member
Jan 26, 2023
There's also a 4th module but it's quite irrelevant (Legal Research and all that), I'm not sure if we receive a final grade on it at the end of the first year but it may increase my mark if that is so.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
No, our first year exam results only include the 3 modules & we won't have official examinations until the end of third year now so the rest (from last term of first year till the end of the degree) will only be predicted.

Edit: For more context, I've held (and will be holding) committee positions in my university's law/business societies, and the Open Days I have attended/will be attending are at Davis Polk/Gibson Dunn, etc. I received an offer from Milbank for their Open Day but couldn't make it as I was outside EU. I'm working on a Strategy/Consulting challenge this term and will be joining the Uni's M&A Academy at the beginning of my second year. Would my extracurriculars, in addition to my summer internship, change anything?
I don’t think they have to change anything. Your academics are sufficient and shouldn’t hold you back from applying.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.