• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Journey to a TC - career change!

THE GOAT

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jun 9, 2024
Hi all,

Hope everyone is doing well.

I want to use this thread as a form of de facto accountability as I take the leap of a career change/ re-route into the legal sphere. For context, I recently graduated with First Class Honours from a good (non-RG) University in a non-law, non-humanities subject: Accounting and Finance. I have 2 years experience across 2 roles in finance and consulting (in energy sector) through a placement year and an internship.

Having been through 2 application cycles already, I know the arduous task that they can be - and Law in particular has some heavy applications, coupled with many more firms to apply for… I start my PGDL in September and trying to plan ahead with a goal to be successful in some vacation scheme applications with the ultimate hope being a TC for 2027.

If anyone has any advice/tips etc for me - they would be tremendously appreciated. I will hope to share some unique insights that will drive my personal application process in my first legal cycle.

I used to think this unconventional, and unique background would be a disadvantage for TCs but I now believe that is actually a strong advantage. I think I have some strengths, especially regarding commercial awareness and current affairs, probably driven largely by some good experience in commercial settings over 2 years.

My main concern is truly elucidating my thoughts of "why law" in a way that doesn't give lingering doubts in both applications and interviews. For context: my three A-Levels were maths/accounting based as well. Now, I do have a genuine passion for the law, and I am an avid reader but due to certain reasons I boxed myself into finance/analytical aspects and thought perhaps I couldn't escape. Alas, I now know this is not the case and I am excited to get applying but this question is my greatest fear so any tips on how to approach this given my background - I would again be appreciative.

I hope to update this page on at least a weekly basis, not only for my own benefit of accountability, but also as a potential future resource for people with less conventional routes into law on how to successfully (fingers crossed) become a commercial lawyer. I think mainly, I will discuss how I am preparing ahead of time: both for the application cycle juggling with the PGDL but also how it's going once it is underway. I guess an added benefit of this - is that it will allow me to ramble some musings in long form which actually is a superb way of taking the mind out of decision paralyses.

Thanks - and good luck to everyone on their own paths towards the presumably shared goal of a TC.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Looking forward to following you in your journey :)

I completely agree that your background is an advantage. This is exactly what I'd lean on and it'll make you stand out in this process.

You're also right to be thinking about 'why law', especially as a career changer. But it's completely okay if law wasn't your first decision and we know many career changers at TCLA. As long as you can demonstrate an interest in the nature of the work that commercial lawyers do, through your experiences, you will have a convincing answer.

Good luck!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

THE GOAT

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 9, 2024
    Looking forward to following you in your journey :)

I completely agree that your background is an advantage. This is exactly what I'd lean on and it'll make you stand out in this process.

You're also right to be thinking about 'why law', especially as a career changer. But it's completely okay if law wasn't your first decision and we know many career changers at TCLA. As long as you can demonstrate an interest in the nature of the work that commercial lawyers do, through your experiences, you will have a convincing answer.

Good luck!
    Thanks Jaysen - appreciate the kind words, and the helpful advice!

Reactions: Jaysen

THE GOAT

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 9, 2024
    The past couple weeks have been fairly hectic but I have spent the majority of my time weeding down my strategy for the next 6 months in relation to number of applications and the companies I want to focus on. Going to aim for 15-18 applications and try and straddle applications based on a timeline I have built/ still building. Also created an excel file to track my applications although I may migrate to the TCLA notion that I saw on Linkedin from Jaysen.

Now the attention turns to the actual applying - first one up is Sidley Austin winter vac scheme which opens up on August 1st! Keen to get that out within a week of opening, and it will be an interesting eye opener to how tough these applications are.

Aims for the coming week:

- I shall complete Draft V1 for the Sidley Austin application.
    - I shall start my A&O Shearman application.
    - I shall do some Watson Glaser test prep.
    - I shall reach out to some trainees on Linkedin.
    - I shall update my excel application tracker/notion for any new openings/deadlines.

Think that is all for the moment, hoping to spend 2 hours a day focusing on application cycle every day this month. Before a holiday and then start of the law conversion itself. Will post my tracker and visual updates as soon as I feel they are necessary. Also, non-law related but anyone who struggles with ADHD or just chronic procrastination: check out the bullet journal by Ryder Carroll. Just search for it on google/YouTube. I found it to be very helpful.

All the best.

PoliLegal

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 17, 2023
    The past couple weeks have been fairly hectic but I have spent the majority of my time weeding down my strategy for the next 6 months in relation to number of applications and the companies I want to focus on. Going to aim for 15-18 applications and try and straddle applications based on a timeline I have built/ still building. Also created an excel file to track my applications although I may migrate to the TCLA notion that I saw on Linkedin from Jaysen.

Now the attention turns to the actual applying - first one up is Sidley Austin winter vac scheme which opens up on August 1st! Keen to get that out within a week of opening, and it will be an interesting eye opener to how tough these applications are.

Aims for the coming week:

- I shall complete Draft V1 for the Sidley Austin application.
    - I shall start my A&O Shearman application.
    - I shall do some Watson Glaser test prep.
    - I shall reach out to some trainees on Linkedin.
    - I shall update my excel application tracker/notion for any new openings/deadlines.

Think that is all for the moment, hoping to spend 2 hours a day focusing on application cycle every day this month. Before a holiday and then start of the law conversion itself. Will post my tracker and visual updates as soon as I feel they are necessary. Also, non-law related but anyone who struggles with ADHD or just chronic procrastination: check out the bullet journal by Ryder Carroll. Just search for it on google/YouTube. I found it to be very helpful.

All the best.
    Hi! I'm also a career changer and applying to those two firms. I'm keen to hear how you're finding it so far! Good luck for your upcoming applications!

THE GOAT

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 9, 2024
    Hello all,

Not much to update this time around. I have finished my Sidley application and done draft v1 of A&O. Spent a good portion of the last couple weeks reaching out to trainees and had a lot of success in responses so if uncertain where to start - reach out: most are very receptive to offering advice! Other than this, been pre prepping some applications for Sept and doing some Watson Glaser Practice.

Aims for this week (commencing Mon 12th Aug):

- Complete A&O application
    - Reach out to some more trainees
    - Pre prep and research on a couple of Sept applications
    - Start thinking ahead to PGDL which starts next month, making sure I am prepared to begin.

All the best.

THE GOAT

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 9, 2024
    Hi all,

Done a lot of ground work for lots of applications past few days. Will not necessarily apply for all these but current game plan below.

Starting PGDL next week so trying to get ahead.

Draft V1s now done for:

Ashurst Winter Vac (Application will be sent in tomorrow)
    HSF Winter Vac (Application will be sent in over weekend)
    Gibson Dunn Summer Vac (Application will be sent in over weekend)
    Willkie Summer Vac (Application in next week)

Started:

Mishcon Summer Vac
    BCLP Summer Vac
    Latham Summer Vac

To start:

Debevoise Summer Vac
    Covington Winter Vac

Applied:

Sidley Austin Winter Vac [not heard]
    A&O Shearman Winter Vac [not heard]

All the best.

Kay Aston

Star Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 8, 2024
    Hi all,

Done a lot of ground work for lots of applications past few days. Will not necessarily apply for all these but current game plan below.

Starting PGDL next week so trying to get ahead.

Draft V1s now done for:

Ashurst Winter Vac (Application will be sent in tomorrow)
    HSF Winter Vac (Application will be sent in over weekend)
    Gibson Dunn Summer Vac (Application will be sent in over weekend)
    Willkie Summer Vac (Application in next week)

Started:

Mishcon Summer Vac
    BCLP Summer Vac
    Latham Summer Vac

To start:

Debevoise Summer Vac
    Covington Winter Vac

Applied:

Sidley Austin Winter Vac [not heard]
    A&O Shearman Winter Vac [not heard]

All the best.
    Amazing progress 🚀 excited to follow your journey @THE GOAT !

Reactions: Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.