Importance of modular grades (non law graduate) for VS for US/MC?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Got a 2.1 overall but quite a few 2.2s in modules and one pass (31) - will this be a huge disadvantage for city firms?
It will really depend on how many is "quite a few" and when they were.

If it is just 3 or so, it will be less of an issue. If you really mean 2-3 per year, it will be more of an issue.

If your lower grades are predominately in your first year, and you have then showed a consistent upward trajectory since then with the rest of your grades, it will be less of an issue than if they are spread out across all years of study.

There are hundreds of "city" firms though and not all of them will be so focused on academics. If you are just talking about US or MC firms which will be a very small fraction of the number of city firms, it may be more of an issue. However, I have recruited enough people with non-stellar academics to know it is still possible to obtain TCs at this firm, you just typically need to show you have excelled elsewhere.

lawadvice_23

Oct 8, 2024
Hi, thanks for your replies. @Jessica Booker - to reply - in 2nd year i had 4 modules (less weighting than third year) but got (high) 2.2s in all 4 - one was optional so only 'added' to my final grade as extra points, but is on my transcript so unsure whether to include this. in third year I had 7 and got 2.2s in 3, 2.1s in 3 and the pass (31) in one. then fourth year i got the first - although it was for a project - which counted a quarter of my degree.
so my track record for written exams is not the best. am just unsure how much firms (in particular US/MC) will consider my better grade in fourth year as proof of academic improvement?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, thanks for your replies. @Jessica Booker - to reply - in 2nd year i had 4 modules (less weighting than third year) but got (high) 2.2s in all 4 - one was optional so only 'added' to my final grade as extra points, but is on my transcript so unsure whether to include this. in third year I had 7 and got 2.2s in 3, 2.1s in 3 and the pass (31) in one. then fourth year i got the first - although it was for a project - which counted a quarter of my degree.
so my track record for written exams is not the best. am just unsure how much firms (in particular US/MC) will consider my better grade in fourth year as proof of academic improvement?
You will have to include all modules no matter what they contributed to your degree grade wise.

What are your first year grades like?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.