• Hey Guest, join Reed Smith’s Rik Palmer on Wednesday 7 October, 6–7pm (UK time) to learn how to succeed at each stage of the firm’s application process. Register for the event.

How to approach this question concerning careers events

Oliver Gilliland

Distinguished Member
Sep 6, 2018
69
112
I came across this question

Excluding work experience, please detail all the events you have attended/organised which demonstrate your commitment to increasing your understanding of a career as a Solicitor. (250 words max)*?

My issue is should I include careers events that arent specific to the firm? or should I limit to more 'general careers events' such as LCN live , City Law Live , Law fairs etc?
 
I came across this question

Excluding work experience, please detail all the events you have attended/organised which demonstrate your commitment to increasing your understanding of a career as a Solicitor. (250 words max)*?

My issue is should I include careers events that arent specific to the firm? or should I limit to more 'general careers events' such as LCN live , City Law Live , Law fairs etc?

Thanks for sharing this Oliver.

White & Case also have a similar question, whilst attending their open day, I spoke to GR and they said any type of experience whether specific to the firm or general should be listed, this is because it shows a wide range of experiences you have undergone to increase your understanding of a career as a solicitor.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jaysen
I came across this question

Excluding work experience, please detail all the events you have attended/organised which demonstrate your commitment to increasing your understanding of a career as a Solicitor. (250 words max)*?

My issue is should I include careers events that arent specific to the firm? or should I limit to more 'general careers events' such as LCN live , City Law Live , Law fairs etc?

Yep as Selma said -- mention everything.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Felicia
Thanks for your thoughts on this guys and thanks @Oliver for raising it.

Another question on this- being a bit pedantic do you think I would be okay to include events that I have been involved in as part of my paid employment as strictly speaking that does not fall part of work experience (internships/ vacation schemes etc)? Or would it be best to steer clear of anything work related?
 
Thanks for your thoughts on this guys and thanks @Oliver for raising it.

Another question on this- being a bit pedantic do you think I would be okay to include events that I have been involved in as part of my paid employment as strictly speaking that does not fall part of work experience (internships/ vacation schemes etc)? Or would it be best to steer clear of anything work related?

I would include within the work experience section, it’s a great example!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Felicia
Thanks for sharing this Oliver.

White & Case also have a similar question, whilst attending their open day, I spoke to GR and they said any type of experience whether specific to the firm or general should be listed, this is because it shows a wide range of experiences you have undergone to increase your understanding of a career as a solicitor.

Thank you for your response. Assuming it would be best to pick like the top 3-5 and go into abit more detail about why you went/what you learnt? Rather than simply listing of 10+ briefly?
 
I would include within the work experience section, it’s a great example!

One final thing as the question is angled "to increasing your understanding of a career as a Solicitor." Would it be good to mention events you have attended to explore other career paths , which in turn consolidated your desire to be a solicitor etc? Such as going to an investment banking presentation etc( I know this comes up in interview a lot but unsure if it would be strictly relevant)
 

Find member