Herbert Smith Freehills App

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Premium Member
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Dec 1, 2020
How was everyone's personality report? I got 3 reasonably high/very high and one without any qualifying word, which I suppose is the worst possible score... What other qualifying phrases do they use?

Hi! I think I got very similar to you: leadership: reasonably high, technical capability: very high, team: reasonably high, then for working style I got a description without a qualifier.

I’m I actually don’t think my working style is very accurate—it says I’m not very spontaneous and I prefer routine, which doesn’t reflect me in the workplace. It seemed the questions regularly pitted speed against accuracy, I would pick accuracy although I like speed too but it you can’t have both when you have to pick between them!

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    How was everyone's personality report? I got 3 reasonably high/very high and one without any qualifying word, which I suppose is the worst possible score... What other qualifying phrases do they use?
    Two of the competencies in my report said I was a very high performer, and two had no descriptor :oops:

Aspiring.lawyer.to.be

Legendary Member
  • Nov 26, 2019
    Hi, it's definitely a standard verbal reasoning assessment! I did mine a week ago. For the first part (the SJT), I used this quiz https://careers.herbertsmithfreehills.com/uk/grads/apply and focus on the feedback as they roughly tell you what they are looking for. For the second part (the personality test), just try and be really honest. For the verbal reasoning test, I would say that the test isn't super challenging, but requires you to pay attention to the wording of the texts and questions. I practiced with some free verbal reasoning tests online. I have to say that the practice test (test https://sovaonline.com/register/WIHcCpMVrqrnapSMrYGjGapFqfih8pVcP6cVQmylkiM) is identical (in format) to actual test.

Thanks a Lot!!

Reactions: MariSierra

H S

Distinguished Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    Can someone explain to me why this isn't false?
    My reasoning was that since it explicitly says that it is not clear how much money broadcasters will make from upgrading, it is false that broadcasters choose to upgrade to make more money simply because they don't know how much money they'll make... upload_2020-12-9_18-36-7.png

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Can someone explain to me why this isn't false?
    My reasoning was that since it explicitly says that it is not clear how much money broadcasters will make from upgrading, it is false that broadcasters choose to upgrade to make more money simply because they don't know how much money they'll make... View attachment 2323
    Broadcasters are upgrading their equipment to provide higher quality services. But the last sentence of paragraph one says it’s unclear how much money they will make from digital. Therefore we cannot say if they will make more money from digital tv.

Reactions: H S

H S

Distinguished Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    Broadcasters are upgrading their equipment to provide higher quality services. But the last sentence of paragraph one says it’s unclear how much money they will make from digital. Therefore we cannot say if they will make more money from digital tv.

Look at this similar but kind of easier example:

Text: Marry wants to prepare dinner. Mary likes spaghetti. Mary also really likes pizza. It is not clear what Marry will cook for dinner.
    Statement: Marry will cook spaghetti.
    Answer: Cannot say - Because we do not know whether this is true. Mary may cook or may not cook spaghetti for dinner. We cannot say for sure whether Mary will cook spaghetti or pizza. Therefore we cannot say for sure whether the statement is true or false.

In your case, broadcasters may make more money but may not, it says that it is not clear. So if it is not clear, we cannot say for sure whether they will or will not make money.

Wait, thing is the statement isn't "broadcasters will make more money from digital TV", it's that "broadcasters are upgrading their equipment BECAUSE they will make more money from digital TV". My point was, because it is unclear how much money they will make, that CANNOT be a reason for their choosing to upgrade, i.e. it cannot logically follow that their reason for upgrading is to make more money simply because they don't know how much money they'll make. Which would make it false?

lozza_2

Distinguished Member
    Nov 25, 2019
    Has anyone had any issues regarding the link to the online assessment? I have been emailing grad recruitment since Tuesday morning (with little response) as the link does not work on the email sent to me. I have also contacted the company that runs the test and they have not yet responded to me. My application is due to expire this evening if I don't complete the test so I am feeling very worried :(

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    Has anyone had any issues regarding the link to the online assessment? I have been emailing grad recruitment since Tuesday morning (with little response) as the link does not work on the email sent to me. I have also contacted the company that runs the test and they have not yet responded to me. My application is due to expire this evening if I don't complete the test so I am feeling very worried :(

hi! I had the exact same—it wouldn’t work on my laptop or on my tablet, even though the sample test worked on both. I ended up having to take it on my phone, which was pretty horrific (definitely not a good platform when you want to take in lots of information...) and I think there’s a good chance I didn’t do very well there!

I don’t know if they will help in this circumstance, I suspect from the message about trying it on different platforms that this is an issue quite a few people face, certainly anyone with an older laptop. Very frustrating and unnecessary to make a test that’s only compatible with some laptops, but phone might be the only way forward.

Reactions: collie_121

WannabeSolicitor24

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer 26
  • Apr 14, 2020

I had a problem when I took it - the link was broken and was coming up as "invalid" or something like this - i just kept clicking it over a period of over two hours and eventually it went through to the test... I guess all you can do is keep trying but im almost 100% you won't be disadvantaged because of this - and they will be able to extend the test deadline (especially as its a problem their end!)

lozza_2

Distinguished Member
    Nov 25, 2019
    hi! I had the exact same—it wouldn’t work on my laptop or on my tablet, even though the sample test worked on both. I ended up having to take it on my phone, which was pretty horrific (definitely not a good platform when you want to take in lots of information...) and I think there’s a good chance I didn’t do very well there!

I don’t know if they will help in this circumstance, I suspect from the message about trying it on different platforms that this is an issue quite a few people face, certainly anyone with an older laptop. Very frustrating and unnecessary to make a test that’s only compatible with some laptops, but phone might be the only way forward.

I had a problem when I took it - the link was broken and was coming up as "invalid" or something like this - i just kept clicking it over a period of over two hours and eventually it went through to the test... I guess all you can do is keep trying but im almost 100% you won't be disadvantaged because of this - and they will be able to extend the test deadline (especially as its a problem their end!)

The issue I was having was that there was no link to even click on in the email! Such a nightmare but thankfully the company who is responsible for the test have replied to me and given me a new link to complete the test (which hopefully I will pass haha)

• 🤝
    Reactions: WannabeSolicitor24

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Wait, thing is the statement isn't "broadcasters will make more money from digital TV", it's that "broadcasters are upgrading their equipment BECAUSE they will make more money from digital TV". My point was, because it is unclear how much money they will make, that CANNOT be a reason for their choosing to upgrade, i.e. it cannot logically follow that their reason for upgrading is to make more money simply because they don't know how much money they'll make. Which would make it false?
    It would only be false if it clearly stated another reason for making more money/reason for upgrading equipment. As we don’t know if they will make more money then it’s ‘cannot say’, as we don’t know for certain if they will or not.

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    The mystery deepens :D

mine were: leadership (rh), technical (vh), team (rh) and then working style which was just a description rather than a rating? Did you get a rating for working style, or did you get a whole other category altogether :eek:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.