• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

GDL vs. No-GDL (College of Legal Practice)

Lawyering13

Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 5, 2024
    Hi all,

I'm a future trainee solicitor at a US firm due to start my training contract in March 2026. My firm doesn't require me to sit the GDL exams and I start my SQE course in February 2025. However, I am slightly worried going into the SQE without completing the GDL for a multitude of reasons, and wanting some advice:

- Could I have legal knowledge gaps without completing the GDL?
    - Will having the GDL make me more employable, or having JUST the SQE make me less desirable post-qualification?

I found a full-time GDL course with the College of Legal Practice that runs for 20 weeks. Has anyone completed it before, and if so, what are your opinions? If I can find the money/time to do the course, would you recommend I complete it?

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Having the GDL won't make you are more employable.

Is your firm providing you with a more extended SQE course that would cover additional legal knowledge or do you do exactly the same course as law students? Some firms have a slightly longer SQE course (if only by a matter of weeks) that gives you legal knowledge foundations suitable for the SQE.

Lawyering13

Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 5, 2024
    @Jessica Booker My firm gives me a 6 week course, but I still question whether the time given will be sufficient to cover everything I need to know for the SQE. I would feel more assured if I did the GDL, but I could be wrong.

Its more whether I will miss out on legal content by not doing the GDL and/or I will find the SQE significantly harder.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker My firm gives me a 6 week course, but I still question whether the time given will be sufficient to cover everything I need to know for the SQE. I would feel more assured if I did the GDL, but I could be wrong.

Its more whether I will miss out on legal content by not doing the GDL and/or I will find the SQE significantly harder.
    if your firm thinks it is sufficient, I would expect it to be so. But maybe talk to other people either via your firm or other firms who put trainees through the same course, to get their thoughts on what it was like.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.