• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Gap in studies and career progression due to mental health — will this affect my VS/TC applications?

slb

Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
Hi all,

I graduated this summer from Manchester University with a first (77) in Philosophy. However, I had to take two years out from studying for mental health reasons. I used that time to firstly address the mental health issues and then to get work experience, first at a restaurant and then at a university where I got some insight into MBA content and became interested in working in a commercial field. I also decided during this time to change my degree from Mathematics and Philosophy to just Philosophy.

Essentially, I’m wondering:
  1. Do you think I stand a chance in applying for vacation schemes despite the two year gap (and change in course) during my university studies? I wasn’t particularly ‘productive’ during the first year as I was just trying to build myself back up again. I will mention that there were extenuating circumstances but still, I know this isn’t ideal when firms are looking for the best possible candidates.
  2. I’m also aware that ideally I would have applied for vacation schemes/TC’s a year ago, however I thought that my application would be weak given that I didn’t yet have recent grades to prove that I had overcome my period of poor mental health. I ended up getting my highest yearly average (80%) in my final year, and I’ve since done a lot of research and virtual work experience programmes and decided that corporate law is absolutely a field I want to work in. However, I’ve been slower than others in figuring out that this is the career I want to go into, so I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to explain/frame this in applications? I do want to work in this field, but at the same time I don’t have a lot of proof for this as much of my energy over the past few years has gone into properly addressing some long-term mental health issues that flared up while at university, and then really focussing on my studies in my final year.
Thank you in advance for your help!

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
Hi @slb :)

Thank you for reaching out! First, I wanted to commend you for taking time off from school to focus on your health and well-being—that demonstrates strong self-awareness, which is a valuable trait in any profession, including law.

I completely understand your concerns about applying to firms given your particular circumstances. When I began applying to firms in my late 20s, I sometimes wondered whether I was a "Johnny Come Lately." However, I’ve since met many candidates, including several career changers with decades of experience in other industries, who’ve successfully started their training contracts. For this reason, I feel it’s not always helpful to think in terms of an ‘ideal time’ to apply for vacation schemes or training contracts. If this is a career path you’re passionate about (and it certainly seems like you are), I would absolutely encourage you to apply.

Finally, when applying, it might be worth keeping the following in mind:
  • Addressing the Time Off/Mitigating Circumstances: I strongly recommend including mitigating circumstances, as firms do take these into account. Given the impressive results you achieved, there’s a good chance they will view the gap as a brief blip in an otherwise strong academic record. It's worth noting that philosophy is also a very intellectually challenging degree, and offers students many skills (both in analysis, writing, and argumentation) that are great for aspiring solicitors. When discussing these, try to be as factual as possible about the circumstances and the period they covered during your degree(s).

• Showcasing Your Relevant Strengths: While it’s tempting to compare yourself to seemingly "perfect” applicants with flawless grades and extensive legal experience, I’d encourage you to consider what makes you stand out from others. You already have some great work experience and exposure. For instance, how might exposure MBA content have given you insight into the commercial world. I’d also encourage you to consider how your work in a restaurant or university might have developed valuable skills like communication, problem-solving, or adaptability? Having worked in the restaurant industry myself during my studies (as well as several years after), I found it helpful to think about this when interviewing and applying to firms.
As always, make sure to tailor your applications to each firm and highlight the unique qualities and experiences you bring. With the right preparation and approach, I think you’ll have plenty of opportunities to showcase your strengths.

Feel free to let me know if you have any more questions or need advice on specific applications—we’re happy to help.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.