• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

First Year Grades

Dylan Anton

Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 31, 2023
Hi!

I've recently got back first year grades, and I have unfortunately got one 2:2 module. The full breakdown -

Contract Law - 69
LSE100 - 69
Tort Law - 67
Public Law - 63
Criminal Law - 55

Average - 64.6 (~65)

I understand that I should be able to make most applications given that I received a 2:1 (but that the 2:2 module would be considered a red flag). Despite having secured 5 first year schemes and having done a fair bit of extra-curriculas, I'm more concerned about the firms that outright reject candidates based on one 2:2 module or see a 2:2 module as heavily detrimental to a candidate's application.

I would like some advice on which firms to avoid applying to in second year in this regard. Or if I've got it completely wrong, please let me know, as I have got mixed information about grades.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Apple

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 23, 2023
in my experience it never stopped me (my only 2:2 was also criminal law lol)

Tort and contract are the most important and you did well there.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi!

I've recently got back first year grades, and I have unfortunately got one 2:2 module. The full breakdown -

Contract Law - 69
LSE100 - 69
Tort Law - 67
Public Law - 63
Criminal Law - 55

Average - 64.6 (~65)

I understand that I should be able to make most applications given that I received a 2:1 (but that the 2:2 module would be considered a red flag). Despite having secured 5 first year schemes and having done a fair bit of extra-curriculas, I'm more concerned about the firms that outright reject candidates based on one 2:2 module or see a 2:2 module as heavily detrimental to a candidate's application.

I would like some advice on which firms to avoid applying to in second year in this regard. Or if I've got it completely wrong, please let me know, as I have got mixed information about grades.

Thanks for the help in advance!
The vast majority of firms are not going to reject you because of one 2.2 module, and especially given the strength of your other modules.

Dylan Anton

Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 31, 2023
in my experience it never stopped me (my only 2:2 was also criminal law lol)

Tort and contract are the most important and you did well there.
Yeah Criminal Law's a sly one haha. Thank you for sharing your experience, that's reassuring, and also I loved Contract/Tort so I guess I'm good with the Commercial Law side of academics for now.

The vast majority of firms are not going to reject you because of one 2.2 module, and especially given the strength of your other modules.
Ah thank you for your response Jess! I guess I just heard about one or two strict firms and was scared there'd be a widespread application of that stringency across the top firms. I'm going to be applying to a select few anyway so it shouldn't hold me back - I was just a bit nervous straight after receiving my grades.

Thanks again.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yeah Criminal Law's a sly one haha. Thank you for sharing your experience, that's reassuring, and also I loved Contract/Tort so I guess I'm good with the Commercial Law side of academics for now.

Ah thank you for your response Jess! I guess I just heard about one or two strict firms and was scared there'd be a widespread application of that stringency across the top firms. I'm going to be applying to a select few anyway so it shouldn't hold me back - I was just a bit nervous straight after receiving my grades.

Thanks again.
Unless a firm references something like "consistent academic excellence" as a requirement, I think you will be fine with most firms, especially if you are confident in the rest of your application. It is just one module and therefore most firms will look way beyond that.

Reactions: Dylan Anton

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.