• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Does the SQE have to be passed before commencing a Training Contract?

stephcurry30

• Jul 20, 2023
    As a law graduate I'm curious to know whether its required to pass the SQE before commencing a training contract with a law firm?

Also, I would like to understand if certain law firms sponsor candidates for the SQE, and whether possessing the SQE qualification enhances one's chances of securing a training contract compared to having just a law degree?

AlexJ

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 23, 2022
    The answer to the first question is yes, firms require you to have passed the SQE before starting.

Must firms will pay SQE fees + prep course + maintenance grant, especially bigger city firms. Some smaller firms don’t so it’s always best to check if you aren’t sure.

I think having the SQE will help you land a paralegal role, which could help your chances of a TC but won’t do much by itself. Similar to the situation under the LPC.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    As a law graduate I'm curious to know whether its required to pass the SQE before commencing a training contract with a law firm?

Also, I would like to understand if certain law firms sponsor candidates for the SQE, and whether possessing the SQE qualification enhances one's chances of securing a training contract compared to having just a law degree?
    Not a regulatory requirement, but many firms have a preference for you passing both SQE1 and SQE2 before you start your TC.

Many firms sponsor trainees through the SQE though in the same way they did for the LPC.

You can self fund if you’d like to - many people did this with the LPC. I don’t think it is an automatic way of improving your chances, but it can build your skills, knowledge etc and so isn’t a bad thing to help develop you into potentially a stronger candidate.

jprfsx

Standard Member
    Feb 25, 2022
    I am doing the SQE alongside my training contract and being sponsored by my firm to do it so to answer your question, no you don't have to have completed your SQE before starting your TC.

Cryingtiger

Valued Member
    Dec 11, 2020
    Not a regulatory requirement, but many firms have a preference for you passing both SQE1 and SQE2 before you start your TC.

Many firms sponsor trainees through the SQE though in the same way they did for the LPC.

You can self fund if you’d like to - many people did this with the LPC. I don’t think it is an automatic way of improving your chances, but it can build your skills, knowledge etc and so isn’t a bad thing to help develop you into potentially a stronger candidate.
    Hi Jessica (asking for a friend)

If completed the LPC previously will that mean they will be exempt from the SQE, or will they need to do part 2 of it? Thank you awaiting for your response :)

BuddingLawyer

Distinguished Member
    Jul 10, 2023
    I am doing the SQE alongside my training contract and being sponsored by my firm to do it so to answer your question, no you don't have to have completed your SQE before starting your TC.
    Just to clarify : is your SQE prep course ONLINE/PART TIME IN PARALLEL with your Full time TC ? This means instead of the standard 3 year cycle (one year full time LPC/SQE followed by 2 full time years of TC) you will finish your TC+SQE in 2 years ?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Just to clarify : is your SQE prep course ONLINE/PART TIME IN PARALLEL with your Full time TC ? This means instead of the standard 3 year cycle (one year full time LPC/SQE followed by 2 full time years of TC) you will finish your TC+SQE in 2 years ?
    I don’t know the specifics of this poster, but typically firms who allow you to do the SQE alongside the Training Contract extend it to 30 months instead of 24.

This is typically where you are on an apprenticeship and 20% of your time is dedicated to learning, and so effectively they add on 20% of 24 months and then round up.

That is still generally quicker though, and the key benefit is you are earning from day 1 rather than relying on a maintenance grant for the first year.

Reactions: BuddingLawyer

KSADELAW

Sep 2, 2024
    Which firm are you training at if you’d don’t mind me kindly asking? Only because this arrangement seems to be quite rare & this is what I’m desperately looking for.

KSADELAW

Sep 2, 2024
    Could I kindly ask which firm you are training at? Only because this is quite a rare arrangement. This is something I’m desperately looking for haha!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.