Dechert Vacation Scheme

OVLD68

Standard Member
  • Sep 28, 2024
    Hi,

I was just wondering if anybody could critique one of my responses for Dechert's vacation scheme questions.

Please explain why you want to pursue a career as a commercial solicitor and why you would like to practise at Dechert. Word Count (300 words)

My passion for commercial law has developed organically through practical experience and academic pursuits. As Lead Legal advisor for XYZ, a pro bono scheme providing commercial law advice to small businesses, I’ve gained invaluable insight into the challenges businesses face. While on a much smaller scale to the work carried out by Dechert, this experience has made me appreciate the role commercial solicitors play in creating tangible results, whether it’s as trivial as examining a businesses T&C’s or significant as handling multi-jurisdictional settlements.

The strategic thinking involved in commercial law also fascinates me. I recently completed XYZ internship which gave me a more holistic view of commercial transactions. My interest was piqued when learning about the nuances involved in large-scale merger and acquisitions, particularly the difficulties in balancing all of the varying competing interests involved in such deals. This complexity intellectually invigorates me, and with Dechert being recognised as the top M&A firm across multiple continents (Bloomberg, Chambers) it is the perfect place to develop these skills.

Dechert’s expertise in handling cross-border matters also aligns perfectly with my career aspirations. Unlike many American firms, where international offices are merely ‘satellite’ offices, Dechert’s integrated global network ensures seamless collaboration across borders. This cohesion was exemplified in the firm's recent role in the Chubb case, involving disputes over seized assets in Russia, which showcased its strength in managing complex international litigation.

Furthermore, Dechert’s small trainee intake and flat hierarchy guarantee hands-on responsibility from the outset. I thrive in tight-knit teams, evidenced by my role as a XYZ Ambassador at my university, making Dechert’s environment ideal for my growth.

Overall, Dechert’s dynamic and impactful work aligns with my drive for intellectual challenge and real-world contribution, making it the ideal firm for my career as a commercial solicitor.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Avoid contracting words - an application is a formal document, so avoid “I’ve” and “it’s” and similar contracted words.

I would also avoid acronyms like T&Cs - if you did use it, there is no apostrophe in it.

You reference “these skills” in your second paragraph but there isn’t really a reference to skills in that paragraph, so it is unclear what you mean there.

I think you can also get rid of your final paragraph and provide more depth of reasoning on your last two paragraphs instead. I think you have squeezed too many points here at the expense of not clearly explaining/evidencing the motivations.

OVLD68

Standard Member
  • Sep 28, 2024
    Avoid contracting words - an application is a formal document, so avoid “I’ve” and “it’s” and similar contracted words.

I would also avoid acronyms like T&Cs - if you did use it, there is no apostrophe in it.

You reference “these skills” in your second paragraph but there isn’t really a reference to skills in that paragraph, so it is unclear what you mean there.

I think you can also get rid of your final paragraph and provide more depth of reasoning on your last two paragraphs instead. I think you have squeezed too many points here at the expense of not clearly explaining/evidencing the motivations.
    Hi, thank you for the reply.

So I discuss Decehrts global reach in this question "Dechert is frequently retained to work on the most challenging matters, and prides itself on its ability to deliver premium legal services and sound business judgement to its clients. In your opinion, other than the above, what are the three key reasons why our clients instruct us?" as one of the three key reasons. Do you think I should remove the global part from this question to focus on the trainee intake point instead?

I obviously know the global reach part is an important point and makes good sense in this question, but do you think its a waste of words to rehash similar to what I've already said or should I treat every question as different?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.