• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Ask Willkie Farr & Gallagher Anything!

NW Law

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    Not Gemma, but thought I would add that travelling is such an amazing experience that offers a lot of value when it comes to interviews. I have taken a gap year and in almost every interview I have had - it ended up someway talking about the countries I had travelled to, why I visited them and what I got up to. For my successful interviews, some of the feedback was that the assessors loved the varied experience and really showed my personality in interviews which they liked! So absolutely value the time you have taken travelling - and who knows - your assessor might have something in common (in one of mine, I ended up travelling to a very remote town in France which turned out to be the place one of my interviewers was born...). Have a great time travelling!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Giovani

Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 25, 2024
    Hi Gemma,
    I hope this message finds you in the best of health and spirits.
    I wanted to inquire if I can still submit an application to be considered for a Training Contract at Willkie Farr & Gallagher.

Thanks,
    JN

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 4, 2021
    Hi Gemma,
    I hope this message finds you in the best of health and spirits.
    I wanted to inquire if I can still submit an application to be considered for a Training Contract at Willkie Farr & Gallagher.

Thanks,
    JN
    Hi @Giovani

With regards to trainee roles, from 1 September 2024, we will be recruiting for training contracts commencing September 2027, via our 2025 vacation schemes only. Applications will close at 11.59 am on 20 December 2024. The deadline for our 2024 vacation schemes was on 20 December 2023. Outside of our formal vacation scheme and training contracts, I’m afraid we do not have other opportunities available in our London office. Please see here for more information as to our graduate recruitment process.

Thanks
    Gemma

Tsitsipas10S

Standard Member
    Aug 29, 2024
    Hi Gemma

I was wondering whether the firm recruits for its vacation scheme on a rolling basis? I want to attend the insight event at Willkie to get a better understanding of the firm, but don't want this to delay my application for the vacation scheme if applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 4, 2021
    Hi @Tsitsipas10S

Thanks for your email. From our website: "
    Do you recruit on a rolling basis?
    Yes and no. We review applications and video interviews as they arrive, meaning you will hear from us within ten to fifteen working days as to the outcome of your application. However, two of our application stages will not take place until after the deadline, meaning we won't make any offers at all until after the deadline and will not fill up places before the deadline.

It is our strong recommendation that you only submit your application when you feel it is ready rather than submitting it as early as possible. "

Many thanks
    Gemma

Reactions: Jaysen

Sim96

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jul 11, 2020
    Hi @WillkieGemma

I would be very grateful for your view:

I am an English qualified solicitor at a trainee level as I need to gain local litigation knowledge.

I qualified in England thru the QLTS for which I did not have to undertake QWE (work experience). I am now seeking that. Most firms don’t offer training contracts (TC) to English qualified.

Q: Should I reveal my qualification before applying for a TC and check my eligibility or just apply and not mention it?

Don’t want to hide but don’t want to create a confusion that I am at NQ level. I am mainly targeting 2025 TCs. Only 1-10 are open. Concerned that if I reveal, there will be barely any TCs to apply to - that’s my main route to the London market.

Thank you!

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 4, 2021
    Hi @Sim96

Many thanks - I'm afraid you cannot apply for training contracts anywhere, as you are a fully qualified English & Welsh solicitor, therefore you cannot apply via the TC route. You cannot omit to mention it and retain your integrity - it is a key and relevant piece of information. I would suggest working as a paralegal to gain the experience, and then perhaps the firm will promote you to associate. Additionally, if you completed the QLTS, this would suggest you are qualified in another jurisdiction. If this is the case, did you practice there? Have you built up experience in another jurisdiction? Can you apply as an NQ on that basis? I am not responsible for lateral recruitment, so I am not your best source of advice as to how to do this etc, so perhaps this is another route you can explore.

Many thanks
    Gemma

Reactions: Jessica Booker

legally.brown

Legendary Member
  • Sep 27, 2021
    Hi @WillkieGemma , I hope you're doing well!

I had a quick question:

I completed an internship at a Tier 1 law firm in India. When discussing this in my "Why Law" or "Why Willkie" answers, do I need to specifically mention the name of the firm and provide details about them, or is it sufficient to refer to it more generally as "a leading law firm in India" or "an internship with a commercial law firm in India"?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 4, 2021
    Hi @WillkieGemma , I hope you're doing well!

I had a quick question:

I completed an internship at a Tier 1 law firm in India. When discussing this in my "Why Law" or "Why Willkie" answers, do I need to specifically mention the name of the firm and provide details about them, or is it sufficient to refer to it more generally as "a leading law firm in India" or "an internship with a commercial law firm in India"?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
    hi @legally.brown it is very much up to you, but assuming you are including the firm in your employment/work history section, I don't understand why you would not mention it by name in other areas of the same form.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.