• Hey Guest, leading international law firm BCLP is live right now in the forum! This is a perfect opportunity to ask any questions you have to the recruitment team. Ask a question here!

Ask BCLP Anything!

James Wakefield

Standard Member
Oct 7, 2024
Hi Isabel!

I applied to BCLP for the Spring Vacation Scheme back in mid-September and I know you read applications on a rolling basis, and have started to invite some candidates to interview.

Should I be concerned that my application has not been successful if I haven’t heard back from the firm yet?

Thank you.

Isabel Elsey

BCLP Graduate Recruitment
Oct 15, 2024
Hi Isabel,

For the open day, are spaces limited? Are applications for this reviewed on a rolling basis? Lastly, what level of detail as to our research on BCLP are we expected to provide, given that the Open day will typically be to provide us with a detailed insight into the firm?

Much appreciated.
HI Ayush

Yes, we look at applications for our open day on a rolling basis, so you can expect to hear back soon.

With regards to research, we would recommend that you pick two or three practice areas that are of interest to you and really focus in on the why - this could be exposure to that area, academic interest, interest in a Partner's deal/case etc.

Reactions: Sharon Wu

Nidhi Agrawal

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2024
Hello Isabel, thank you for taking the time to speak with us today. I had three questions:
  1. In your experience, what are the most common mistakes applicants tend to make in their applications?
  2. What skills do you believe are essential for a trainee to succeed at BCLP?
  3. From your perspective, what are BCLP’s unique selling points, or what sets the firm apart from other global law firms?
Thank you for your time, looking forward to hearing from you!

Isabel Elsey

Oct 15, 2024
Hi Isabel!

I applied to BCLP for the Spring Vacation Scheme back in mid-September and I know you read applications on a rolling basis, and have started to invite some candidates to interview.

Should I be concerned that my application has not been successful if I haven’t heard back from the firm yet?

Thank you.
Hi James

I'm assuming you applied under the name above? Did you receive a confirmation email that your application had been submitted, as I am unable to find an application under the name above in our system?

James Wakefield

Standard Member
Oct 7, 2024
Hi James

I'm assuming you applied under the name above? Did you receive a confirmation email that your application had been submitted, as I am unable to find an application under the name above in our system?
Hi Isabel.

Sorry that’s just my name on this forum. I’ve sent you a private message. Thank you for your help!

Isabel Elsey

Oct 15, 2024
Hello Isabel, thank you for taking the time to speak with us today. I had three questions:
  1. In your experience, what are the most common mistakes applicants tend to make in their applications?
  2. What skills do you believe are essential for a trainee to succeed at BCLP?
  3. From your perspective, what are BCLP’s unique selling points, or what sets the firm apart from other global law firms?
Thank you for your time, looking forward to hearing from you!
Hi Nidhi

Thanks for your questions! Answers below :)

1) I think I have answered this one above
2) There are many skills that a Trainee needs to display to be a good lawyer; humility and the willingness to learn is really important at BCLP - your Training Contract is essentially two years of on the job training, so the ability to learn from your mistakes and take feedback on board is essential. The ability to work in a team and adapt your working style accordingly is also really important. Finally, your technical skills such as your research and analytical skills, your communication skills and attention detail need to be strong.
3) There are a number of things that set us apart including the access to quality work, clients and teams that are the best in their field. However, the number one thing for me would be our culture - there's a reason why people stay so long at BCLP (I've been here for over 5 years now), and that's the people. We work really hard as a firm, but it's a hugely collaborative, supportive and friendly culture, which is aided by our completely open plan office.

Reactions: Nidhi Agrawal

Nidhi Agrawal

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2024
Thank you for your helpful response, Isabel. I also have two additional questions:
  1. Does BCLP offer visa sponsorship for international students participating in the vacation scheme? I’m currently based in India and don’t have the right to work in the UK.
  2. Further, I’m set to graduate in 2026 from an Indian university —would I be eligible to apply for the training contract commencing in 2027?
Kind regards,
Nidhi

Isabel Elsey

Oct 15, 2024
Thank you for your helpful response, Isabel. I also have two additional questions:
  1. Does BCLP offer visa sponsorship for international students participating in the vacation scheme? I’m currently based in India and don’t have the right to work in the UK.
  2. Further, I’m set to graduate in 2026 from an Indian university —would I be eligible to apply for the training contract commencing in 2027?
Kind regards,
Nidhi
Hi Nidhi

Unfortunately, we can't sponsor visas for our Vacation Scheme, but we do for our Training Contract. Regarding your intake year, this would depend on whether you will receive an English qualifying law degree or not. If so, then yes 2027 would be fine, but if not, then you would need to undertake the PGDL which would mean a 2028 start date.

Reactions: Nidhi Agrawal

Isabel Elsey

Oct 15, 2024
Hello Isabel,

Does the firm still consider LPC results, and if so, what modules do you put the most emphasis on?

And is it mandatory for LPC Graduates to undertake any part of SQE before starting?

Thanks for your time!!
Hi Kevin

We do still indeed consider LPC results and won't ask candidates to complete the SQE 2 until it becomes mandatory. Regarding the modules, I would recommend completing the modules that you enjoy and will do well in!

MP90

Jun 7, 2024
Hello Isabel,
  1. Do you consider foreign qualified applicants for vacation schemes or training contract and are there separate requirements for such applicants. Say for instance one is qualified to practice law in India or Africa but would like to practice in the UK. How would you treat such an applicant? considering they have already been admitted to the bar in their countries of residence.
  2. What advice do you have for such an applicant when applying to BCLP?
  3. Does BCLP sponsor visas for successful candidates during both vacation schemes and the training contract?
Best,
MP

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.