• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

applying for vac Schemes to TC Dreams

hush-hush

Premium Member
Jul 13, 2024
Hey everyone!

a little bit about me - I'm an international student and graduated from a non-Russell group university in London (can you guess?) with high merit in LLB Law honours. My current stage is studying the LLM Legal Practice (SQE 1&2) starting this September, and I'm self-funding it.

I have never actually fully applied for vac schemes - don't get me wrong, I've tried to get myself to apply, and I've done a lot of research, but call it imposter syndrome - I just haven't been able to send in applications because I don't want to deal with rejection possibly😖

When talking about legal work experience - I actually have done a quiet 4 legal internships through the past three years of law school during my winter/summer breaks but in my home country - which is an international hub. Additionally I had volunteered all through second and third year of law school at a legal clinic - which technically does qualify as "qualifying work experience" but its too short of period to be considered. While I haven't applied for vac schemes, I have attended several open days and was a campus ambassador for a law-adjacent company and a brand ambassador for another. I have also just been selected for the Baker McKenzie and AS mentorship programme starting soon🤞 + I'm also currently on the ASPIRE programme to get ahead this year.

This is my last year to apply for vs/tc's before I have to leave the country + I'm also doing the sqe which adds even more pressure. I know that I can stay for two more years through the graduate visa but currently I'm not sure if that is something I would invest in, I do prefer staying in London so I'm for sure considering it but more so as a last option.

I was inspired to make a forum of my own so that I could hold myself accountable and actually apply. I've done a lot of research and the firms I'm interested in are big international law firms (Dentons, Baker Mckenzie, A&OShearman, Bird&Bird etc). I do have actually go into a deep dive and actually research firms but the goal is to apply for 5 firms a month so that's 20 firms in total over the course of 4 months (Sep-Dec) 🫢 I know I'm being very ambitious in applying to so many - but hopefully it works out in the end. I will also be applying to their oversees offices as most firms have an office in my home country.

On my to do list :

1. RESEARCH FIRMS
2. Keep up to date with commercial news to get my commercial awareness up to date.
3. Apply for open days so that I get at least one foot in through firms.
4. REVISE REVISE REVISE all 7 core modules (for the sqe)

I'm just starting out and I'm a bit lost and I have loads of information in my head so this forum is very much gonna be a digital dump for my brain! Oh also I've never really done a Watson Glazer test before so any thoughts, starting tips, or advice would be greatly appreciated😙 ( whether it's in general or regarding the test).

PoliLegal

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 17, 2023
This is my second cycle but last time round I had to do a couple of Watson Glasers. There are YouTube videos with tips but my best advice is practise, practise, practise. I did loads (maybe 15 - 20) before doing a real one for a firm.

Good luck!

Reactions: hush-hush

hush-hush

Premium Member
Jul 13, 2024
Update!

I’ve just added some Forage internships to my to-do list! 🎉 Now, I’m on a mission to build up my commercial awareness, but I’m not sure where to start. I know there are loads of podcasts out there, but I’m a bit lost on which ones are actually good.

I’ve already got a LittleLaw subscription, which is fab, but since I spend a lot of time commuting, I’d love to make the most of it by listening to some podcasts on the tube. Any recommendations for a good one?

sammm10101

Aug 15, 2024
Update!

I’ve just added some Forage internships to my to-do list! 🎉 Now, I’m on a mission to build up my commercial awareness, but I’m not sure where to start. I know there are loads of podcasts out there, but I’m a bit lost on which ones are actually good.

I’ve already got a LittleLaw subscription, which is fab, but since I spend a lot of time commuting, I’d love to make the most of it by listening to some podcasts on the tube. Any recommendations for a good one?
Honestly if you can get a financial times subscription (I get mine through my uni), so many of theirs are really informative and actually interesting to listen to. Their daily news briefing is good for general stories, but their 'Behind the Money' podcast is the best. A recent one which was great detailed the changing nature of businesses considering headquartering in Texas, the economic and political currents behind this, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: hush-hush

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.