• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Adivce on first year grades and future applications

noctkul

Jul 13, 2024
Got my grades for first and I'm seriously feeling concerned about Vac schemes. I scored 2:1's and high 2:2's(58-60%) consitently through all my internal assements in uni. But ended up scoring 44% in Criminal and 48% in Public Law. Property and Contract are better with 65% and 61% so 2:1's.
But I think this screws up my chances of attending winter vac schemes with my first year grades in December.

Other Things I have being doing:
Mooting: quarter finalsit
Debating Comp: Semi-finalist
Client interviewing(Client): semi-finalist
Negotiation comp: quarter-finalist
Represented my uni in a national UK wide negotiation comp : Finalist in the same
Worked a pro-bono placement and have one good work experience

I don't know if I could balance out the 2 bad module grades with this though. Please advise:(

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Got my grades for first and I'm seriously feeling concerned about Vac schemes. I scored 2:1's and high 2:2's(58-60%) consitently through all my internal assements in uni. But ended up scoring 44% in Criminal and 48% in Public Law. Property and Contract are better with 65% and 61% so 2:1's.
But I think this screws up my chances of attending winter vac schemes with my first year grades in December.

Other Things I have being doing:
Mooting: quarter finalsit
Debating Comp: Semi-finalist
Client interviewing(Client): semi-finalist
Negotiation comp: quarter-finalist
Represented my uni in a national UK wide negotiation comp : Finalist in the same
Worked a pro-bono placement and have one good work experience

I don't know if I could balance out the 2 bad module grades with this though. Please advise:(
Most winter schemes are designed for finalists or graduates, so you may have found it difficult to apply for many of them even without the grades.

As you are averaging below a 2.1, many firms will not consider you for vacation schemes for this cycle, but if you got your grades up in subsequent years, you could then apply to them then.

There will be some firms and other organisations that do not require a 2.1 and therefore you may want to focus on them at this stage.

noctkul

Jul 13, 2024
Most winter schemes are designed for finalists or graduates, so you may have found it difficult to apply for many of them even without the grades.

As you are averaging below a 2.1, many firms will not consider you for vacation schemes for this cycle, but if you got your grades up in subsequent years, you could then apply to them then.

There will be some firms and other organisations that do not require a 2.1 and therefore you may want to focus on them at this stage.
This cycle as in 2024 right? If I get my second year grades up, I can apply with them in Summer 2025?
Do you have any tips as to other law related work experiences I could pick up in the mean time?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
This cycle as in 2024 right? If I get my second year grades up, I can apply with them in Summer 2025?
Do you have any tips as to other law related work experiences I could pick up in the mean time?
By this cycle, I mean the 2024-25 recruitment cycle which will start in the autumn.

Once you have your second year grades you could consider applying for direct training contracts or wait until the autumn and apply for vacation schemes as a finalist.

You can develop some knowledge through virtual programmes on platforms like Forage. You could also look to do volunteer work or maybe even consider applying to high street firms in your local area.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.