Amma Usman

Valued Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
Hi TCLA Community! šŸ˜

I created this thread because we all know that October is the season of drafting more and more applications for law firms. Knowing that you want to work at a particular firm is one thing; effectively demonstrating why that specific firm interests you is another. There are thousands of law firms out thereā€”so why, for example, ABC Solicitors and not DEF Solicitors? What is it about ABC that makes it stand out to you? Why does it stand out? Couldnā€™t you find similar opportunities at DEF or GHI Solicitors?

This thread dives into how to craft a compelling ā€œWhy This Firm?ā€ answer, helping you elevate your applications from generic to targeted and persuasive.

šŸ”„ Convincing Reasons vs. Generic Reasons

Youā€™ve probably heard me emphasise this point before, and I keep coming back to it because itā€™s crucial. Understanding the difference between an answer that sells and one that feels generic can be tricky if youā€™re new to law firm applications.

So, what makes a response generic? A generic answer is one that could be applied to multiple firms or even different industries altogetherā€”whether investment banking, consulting, or marketing. If your response is too broad, it wonā€™t reflect a genuine interest in the firm. On the other hand, a compelling response captures your personal journey and demonstrates why this firm is uniquely suited to your goals and aspirations.

The key is to pinpoint your motivations clearly and align them with what the firm offers. Letā€™s distinguish between a strong and weak answer through the examples below:

šŸ“ Compare Two Responses

Example 1:

ā€œI am applying for a training contract at ABC Solicitors because my father was a law professor, and Iā€™ve always been interested in a legal career. Studying law confirmed my passion, and I know ABC is the firm for me, as it has offices worldwide, which will allow me to build my understanding of multiple cultures. The chance to work on cross-border deals is a significant selling point, and regional law firms may not offer me this exposure.ā€

Example 2:

ā€œI am drawn to training at ABC Solicitors due to my interest in a private equity career. Attending an open day at XY Fund piqued my interest in value creation within private markets. I then attended an open day at GHY Solicitors, where I observed how legal teams navigate private equity deals from start to finish. During a practice case study, I assessed business and legal implications during fund formation and exit and received valuable feedback from a senior partner. ABC Solicitorsā€™ Band 1 ranking for private equity solidified my desire to explore this practice area at a firm of its calibre.ā€

Breaking Down the Difference

Itā€™s clear the second response is stronger. But why?

The first example, while it shows interest in a legal career, is too vague. It doesnā€™t demonstrate a strong motivation for a commercial legal career, nor does it highlight anything specific about ABC that differentiates it from other firms. Additionally, when articulating your passion for a firm or a career in law, itā€™s essential to ensure that your motivations come from a place of personal interest rather than solely external influences. While having a parent or mentor in the legal profession might have sparked your initial curiosity, attributing your desire to pursue a legal career entirely to them can weaken your narrative. It can make it seem like youā€™re following someone elseā€™s path rather than carving out your own. External influences can certainly play a role in shaping your early exposure, but law firms want to see what excites you about the work, how you have explored this interest independently, and what experiences have solidified your unique perspective. By focusing on specific encountersā€”whether through legal work experience, research, or eventsā€”you can better demonstrate genuine interest and show recruiters that this is your chosen career, not just a decision guided by someone elseā€™s influence.

The second response is detailed and compelling because it ties directly into the candidateā€™s experiences and interests. It reflects the candidateā€™s knowledge of the firmā€™s strengths, their passion for private equity, and the steps theyā€™ve taken to explore this interest further. This specificity is key. Without it, even a well-written response will lack the personal touch that sets top applications apart.

But thereā€™s a catchā€”if ABC is not known for its private equity practice, this answer could raise a red flag. A recruiter might wonder: why is the candidate referencing private equity when our expertise is in, say, competition law? If private equity is their core interest, why not apply to a firm with a stronger practice in this area?

The takeaway here is that specificity needs to be backed by accurate research. Even if your interest is genuine, if itā€™s not aligned with the firmā€™s strengths, it can weaken your application. Make sure you know the firmā€™s specialities inside out before you craft your response.

šŸ”Ž Another Example: Pro Bono Work

Letā€™s say a candidate expresses interest in ABC because of its strong pro bono practice. Thatā€™s a good starting point, but it needs more detail. Pro bono work is something that many firms do. So, what is it about ABCā€™s pro bono work that appeals to you? Maybe they collaborated with a charity that focuses on educational support, which links to your own experience mentoring young students. If there are additional intricate points which show this type of pro bono work is unique to the firm and not commonly found elsewhere, then youā€™ve successfully shown a deeper and more tailored interest in what sets the firm apart. Now youā€™re demonstrating that you have a genuine and specific interest in what makes ABCā€™s pro bono unique, rather than offering a blanket statement that could apply to multiple firms.

šŸ”‘ Key Takeaways:

1. Be Specific:
Reference firm-specific attributesā€”whether itā€™s their standout practice areas, or unique approach to training.

2. Personal Connection: Connect your experiences to what the firm offers.

3. Research, Research, Research: Thoroughly investigate the firmā€™s core strengths. LinkedIn, firm websites, and even casual conversations with current trainees can help you gather details that make your answer stronger.

Ultimately, when asked, ā€œWhy this firm?ā€, your answer should combine your personal journey, research-driven insights, and a clear understanding of what makes this firm special. With these tips, answering the ā€œWhy This Firm?ā€ question should feel much less daunting. šŸŒŸ

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.