Why Commercial Law? Investigating Your ‘Why’

Amma Usman

Valued Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
The question that often makes you pause for a moment. You know why you want to pursue this, you’re certain it’s what you want. Yet, putting it into words — especially in a way that resonates with recruiters — is a challenge. Then, you see it in an application form, and it’s just like “argg!” How do you craft an answer that shows you really want this? What would be a stellar response to get you past the application stage? The truth is, authenticity is key. Being yourself and effectively communicating your unique ‘why’ is what will make your answer stand out.

It’s a difficult question indeed—we’ve all been there.

Let me reiterate the importance of communicating your ‘why’ and why it’s so crucial for law firms. It’s because it demonstrates individuality. Many candidates might say they want to become commercial lawyers because it’s highly stimulating, involves cross-border deals, or because they want to help people—many professions offer that, including investment banking, consulting, and marketing. So what makes answering this question for commercial law different?

The answer lies in the intersection between commerce and law. Before being lawyers, it’s arguable that commercial lawyers are business advisors first. This is what sets them apart from other types of lawyers. They understand their clients, they advise, and they execute. A deep understanding of this dynamic will help you frame your answer to “why commercial law?”

So, why does the commercial aspect appeal to you? Why do you want to work with businesses rather than, say, the government (public law) or individuals on estate management (trusts and estates law)? This requires you to reflect on your interactions with businesses. Have you managed a family business? Set up your own? Attended open days at law firms? Why did those experiences appeal to you? What was it about the business connection that intrigued you? Really dig deep—this will help you uncover your ‘why.’

Personally, it took me a while to find my own ‘why.’ I had to take a week off during my first-year scheme application cycle to truly understand my motivations. It did two things: it helped me craft more compelling answers because I knew what was driving me, and it affirmed my choice to pursue commercial law. By the end, I was convinced this was the right path, and I was ready to work hard to achieve it. Once I understood my drivers, the practice areas I was interested in, and the kind of firms I wanted to target, communicating why I wanted to become a commercial lawyer became much easier. I no longer felt the need to apply to every firm—I knew exactly what I was looking for in terms of work and fit.

Now, to the second part of the question: why do you want to be a lawyer? For me, it started with studying a law degree that I genuinely enjoyed. I was also drawn to how commercial lawyers work on some of the most impactful deals in the market. I liked the idea of waking up and seeing in the news a deal that I had been working on with my firm. These are all valid reasons, and they were some of my initial motivators. But I soon realized that this wasn’t enough for an application answer. On paper, it appeared generic. So, I took time to reflect deeper. I found the best way to answer this was through my past experiences and how they all aligned with my desire to be a trusted legal advisor.

I referenced interning at the Ministry of Justice, which introduced me to public law. Then, I worked as a legal advisor at a local city law clinic in Leicester, which confirmed that I enjoyed working in the law, irrespective of specialization. However, it was through my internships at L’Oréal and an insurance company that I realized I preferred the intricacies of commercial law—the client-centric approach, the opportunity to provide fresh perspectives on global deals, and the interplay between strategic thinking and legal execution.

So, take your time with this question. Your ‘why’ should be constant. A setback today shouldn’t influence why you want to become a commercial lawyer. Your answer should reflect the core, foundational reasons for choosing this path. As you progress, new experiences may reinforce or complement your ‘why’—mention those in your applications. The bottom line is: Tell your story. Show your journey. Our journeys are more compelling than we often realize. See that value and convey it confidently in interviews and online applications.

Best of luck!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.