• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

'Why commercial law, and this firm' answer feedback

christina04

Mar 22, 2024
Hi, opening my answer up to anyone on the forum for advice - would really appreciate some help with my answer to this Sidley Austin VS question:

My interest in commercial law stems from its unique position at the axis of business and law. Whilst consulting for a startup, I enjoyed providing tailored advice on fundraising strategies after researching the fast-evolving industry of AI-based healthcare. Yet my work lacked the legal aspect of analysing and applying complex laws which I had enjoyed throughout my degree. Seeking a combination of both elements, I completed vacation schemes with commercial departments at large regional law firms. After participating in a buyer’s-side due diligence meeting, I was drawn by the work of a private equity lawyer. I found it exciting to assist transactions occurring at crucial moments of businesses’ development, which create new value and innovation.

Sidley Austin’s stellar reputation in private equity attracts me. Their high-profile work, such as representing Ryan Specialty in its $1.1bn acquisition of US Assure, is distinguished by their ability to incorporate lateral thinking across disciplines and jurisdictions. The firm’s international presence, highly rated departments, and attraction of excellence – such as recent lateral hire Ramy Wahbeh – provide a strong footing to secure the most engaging and complex transactions in this area, as demonstrated by ten years of revenue growth in the London sector.

Alongside the draw of working on complex, high-value deals, is that of a smaller trainee intake, which will accelerate my learning by allowing me to take on responsibility earlier.
Finally, as an enthusiastic volunteer with the Oxford Hub, I was impressed by the breadth of Sidley Austin’s pro bono work, which ranges from obtaining disability benefits to representing death-row prisoners.

leaaa2023

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jun 27, 2023
Hi, opening my answer up to anyone on the forum for advice - would really appreciate some help with my answer to this Sidley Austin VS question:

My interest in commercial law stems from its unique position at the axis of business and law. Whilst consulting for a startup, I enjoyed providing tailored advice on fundraising strategies after researching the fast-evolving industry of AI-based healthcare. Yet my work lacked the legal aspect of analysing and applying complex laws which I had enjoyed throughout my degree. Seeking a combination of both elements, I completed vacation schemes with commercial departments at large regional law firms. After participating in a buyer’s-side due diligence meeting, I was drawn by the work of a private equity lawyer. I found it exciting to assist transactions occurring at crucial moments of businesses’ development, which create new value and innovation.

Sidley Austin’s stellar reputation in private equity attracts me. Their high-profile work, such as representing Ryan Specialty in its $1.1bn acquisition of US Assure, is distinguished by their ability to incorporate lateral thinking across disciplines and jurisdictions. The firm’s international presence, highly rated departments, and attraction of excellence – such as recent lateral hire Ramy Wahbeh – provide a strong footing to secure the most engaging and complex transactions in this area, as demonstrated by ten years of revenue growth in the London sector.

Alongside the draw of working on complex, high-value deals, is that of a smaller trainee intake, which will accelerate my learning by allowing me to take on responsibility earlier.
Finally, as an enthusiastic volunteer with the Oxford Hub, I was impressed by the breadth of Sidley Austin’s pro bono work, which ranges from obtaining disability benefits to representing death-row prisoners.
For the first paragraph, I'd explain your role. Also maybe state "I completed a vacation scheme at x firm and I really enjoyed participating in a buyer's side.... because...."
--last sentence: doesn't really tie back to you, kind of seems like a statement just to throw in. Maybe choose the smaller trainee intake or the pro bono and expand on why it resonates with you instead of trying to squeeze both in.

christina04

Mar 22, 2024
For the first paragraph, I'd explain your role. Also maybe state "I completed a vacation scheme at x firm and I really enjoyed participating in a buyer's side.... because...."
--last sentence: doesn't really tie back to you, kind of seems like a statement just to throw in. Maybe choose the smaller trainee intake or the pro bono and expand on why it resonates with you instead of trying to squeeze both in.
thanks for your advice! in that role i drafted attendance notes - so I'll include that, and I think I'll focus on the trainee intake rather than pro bono

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I’d recommend avoiding the first sentence - you won’t believe how many times that exact sentence will be used in applications, and especially as an opening line.

Reactions: AlexJ

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.