• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Which top law firms prioritise personality/innovation/unique-ness in their applicants?

anaturner123

Aug 17, 2024
Hi there. I am super new to this page, and more specifically new to pursuing this career path. I am a UK non law student with no legal work experience, but with work experience in strategy and finance, and I have decided to pivot to focus on law. I know that due to my lack of experience, my strengths lie in my personality, innovation, and entrepreneurship - I have gained lots of transferable skills from different unique opportunities. I know that I need to apply strategically to firms, focussing on ones who prioritise this in their applicants. I was wondering if anyone knew of any top firms who look for this more so over technical expertise and experience? Sorry - I don't know whether this is the kind of question people would ask on here, but figured the answers would also be helpful for other students in my position. Thank you.

SoonToBeTrainee

Star Member
  • Dec 29, 2023
    Interesting question and to be honest, I’d say all firms value personality and uniqueness.

For 99% of vac scheme applications, you won’t be disadvantaged for not having legal experience. If anything, you can probably leverage your non-law experiences to craft some compelling applications for any type of firm you wish to pursue.

I’d recommend focusing more on what law firms appeal to you personally, rather than what law firms you think you have the best chance with. Ultimately, you’re going to have the best chance of securing a job with a law firm that you’re genuinely interested in.

If you’re interested in finance and perhaps finance law, have a Google at what law firms are particularly good in this area and go from there!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.