• Hey Guest, leading international law firm BCLP is live right now in the forum! This is a perfect opportunity to ask any questions you have to the recruitment team. Ask a question here!

What skills are essential to be a trainee and how do you demonstrate these?

achramore

Sep 14, 2018
Does anyone have experience with a question like that?

The problem I am facing is that I am applying to a comparatively small transatlantic boutique law firm who don't even advertise their vacation schemes on their website. Also I am struggling to find any information on their firm's culture anywhere.

I guess I will just have to 'stick' to the generic skills?

I have focused on time management, team work, commercial awareness and communication.

Naomi

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Oct 14, 2018
Being proactive, project management, problem-solving. And because it's a small firm, the teams will be much smaller to, so being able to take greater ownership of tasks.

Reactions: Jaysen

Maymoonah

Aug 30, 2018
1. The main thing about these questions is to focus on the three skills that the firm that you are applying too values the most instead of stating generic skills that are applicable to any role. Read the firm's grad rec website for this or speak to fee earners at open days to learn what is valued the most.

2. Use specific examples to demonstrate this from your involvement in societies, clubs and work experience.

3. Don't forget to highlight why you think that skill is most important is comparison to others.

Reactions: Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.