What do graduate career changers do for work during PGDL/SQE training before the actual training contract starts? -silly beginner question

katya007

Sep 23, 2024
Hi all, please can you help me answer a potentially silly and obvious question but I cannot find the answer anywhere - IF (big if) I were to be successful for a training contract ( for example, Chance & Clifford etc), they say you have to have the PGDL and SQE finished before the Training Contract starts in 2027/2028.

They do sponsor these exams. But so do I have to figure out my own job/living arrangements during this time until I pass all exams? As I understand they do not just hire you without no law degrees and offer full time work alongside this training? I assume the PGDL and SQE training is full-time also, so what do people do for work during this the studies are pretty intense. I am asking as I really want to apply for this but I can't afford to stop work for these years to 2027/2028, my parents also live in Latvia so I can't move home. Have I completely misunderstood how this works?

To give a little background about me, I (31F) am a career changer with 2:1 in Performing Arts (I know), graduated in 2020 from the University of Sussex, Latvian nationality but lived in the UK these last 10 years with a settled status. Before university I worked a variety of customer service and hospitality jobs, these last 4 years I have worked for a start-up that is a government approved Endorsing Body for a certain type of business visa, in this time I met a lot of entrepreneurs, had a lot of exposure to business law, contract law, immigration law etc that has fueled my interest in law.

Thanks all for your help!

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Hi all, please can you help me answer a potentially silly and obvious question but I cannot find the answer anywhere - IF (big if) I were to be successful for a training contract ( for example, Chance & Clifford etc), they say you have to have the PGDL and SQE finished before the Training Contract starts in 2027/2028.

They do sponsor these exams. But so do I have to figure out my own job/living arrangements during this time until I pass all exams? As I understand they do not just hire you without no law degrees and offer full time work alongside this training? I assume the PGDL and SQE training is full-time also, so what do people do for work during this the studies are pretty intense. I am asking as I really want to apply for this but I can't afford to stop work for these years to 2027/2028, my parents also live in Latvia so I can't move home. Have I completely misunderstood how this works?

To give a little background about me, I (31F) am a career changer with 2:1 in Performing Arts (I know), graduated in 2020 from the University of Sussex, Latvian nationality but lived in the UK these last 10 years with a settled status. Before university I worked a variety of customer service and hospitality jobs, these last 4 years I have worked for a start-up that is a government approved Endorsing Body for a certain type of business visa, in this time I met a lot of entrepreneurs, had a lot of exposure to business law, contract law, immigration law etc that has fueled my interest in law.

Thanks all for your help!
    Most Firms, Clifford Chance included give a maintenance grant to TC holders whilst they study the PGDL and SQE to help with living costs etc. They‘re normally published on the firms website, Clifford Chance for example give £12,500 PGDL maintenance and £17,500 SQE maintenance. They will also pay the tuition for you to undertake both of the qualifications.
    Hope this answered your question:)

katya007

Sep 23, 2024
    Most Firms, Clifford Chance included give a maintenance grant to TC holders whilst they study the PGDL and SQE to help with living costs etc. They‘re normally published on the firms website, Clifford Chance for example give £12,500 PGDL maintenance and £17,500 SQE maintenance. They will also pay the tuition for you to undertake both of the qualifications.
    Hope this answered your question:)
    Hi there, thank you so much for clarifying, I had read so much about TC as and the process but this part had completely evaded me and it has truly eased a lot of worries! If anyone has experiences or bets tips and practices about this time, what part-time jobs people did etc this would be massively helpful!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.