• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Walk it like I talk it

deeja

Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 1, 2023
Hey!
Audrey Nethery GIF by MOODMAN

I have decided to create a thread to document my journey to getting a TC!

I think this will help hold me accountable and will motivate me! ATM I am all talk and so I'm hoping by regularly updating this thread I will be able to force myself to do the work.

Facts about me:
I am going into my third year of my law degree at a Russel Group university. I am state school educated. This would be my second application cycle and I plan to use the entirety of August getting ready for this year.

What firms I am interested in applying to?
Linklaters
Covington
HSF
Baker Mckenzie
NRF
Freshfields
Hogan Lovells
White and Case
Latham
Wilkie
A & O Shearman
CC
Maybe:
Reed Smith?

Commercial Awareness:
Does anyone have any tips on how I should be consolidating any commercial stories/podcasts I have been reading/listening to?

AIMS:
- Start listening to FT everyday and a firm podcasts.
- Start a FORAGE work exp - maybe CC first?
- Begin research!!!

I would appreciate any tips/ motivating words:)

I will try to update daily if not weakly!

Signing off,
Me

See Ya Adele GIF by E!

LillyandSilver

Legendary Member
Oct 18, 2023
Re Commercial awareness, reading the FT, BBC etc... deffo helps. I would also suggest following the news and insights bit on the firm's websites and follow them on LinkedIn to see what articles they are promoting. I also read somewhere (Legal Cheek?) that firms want more commercial awareness from trainees but that it isn't the kind that we normally think about. We are in a tough spot at the moment in the UK economy these firms said they are looking for people who recognise that they are also a business, how you would represent them, promote their work and what issues they are facing.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.