• Hey Guest, leading international law firm BCLP is live right now in the forum! This is a perfect opportunity to ask any questions you have to the recruitment team. Ask a question here!

Type of Visa Law Firms sponsor for International Students doing the SQE

Mistral_23

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 18, 2022
Hello, I recently received a TC offer from a UK law firm. They will sponsor my visa as I'm an international. My graduate visa expires in Sept 2026, which is the same time I will be starting the SQE LLM. My question is: what type of visa will the law firm give me for the year I spend studying for and taking the SQE.

I don't think it can be a skilled worker visa (SWV) because that requires a minimum salary of £34,300, and law firms pay less than that for the SQE grant. The skilled worker visa will likely start after I've completed the SQE and started training.

If not a Skilled Worker Visa, will it be a student visa? Can law firms even sponsor those and will I be required to pay?

Additionally, as I'm sure you're aware, the SQE grant offered by law firms barely covers living expenses in the current economic climate. I have developed a strong resume and qualify for other jobs with salaries ranging from £60-80K. I was wondering if I could continue working while I study for the SQE. If it is the student or SWV, there is the 20h/week limit on how much I can work - which makes having a full-time job quite challenging. I have heard of people getting double sponsorship on SWV, but apparently, employers don't like that sort of thing.

It's difficult to get clear answers online. I'd appreciate any guidance before I contact my law firm for further clarification. Thank you!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.