• Hey Guest, leading international law firm BCLP is live right now in the forum! This is a perfect opportunity to ask any questions you have to the recruitment team. Ask a question here!

thinking of giving up on commercial law

BubbleTeaFan

Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2022
I just graduated from Law at a top 10 RG uni with a low/mid 2.1 and no work experience.
Over the last 3 years, I only managed to get 1 first-year insight scheme and 1 internship at a commercial law firm in my home country (not the UK).
Other than that, I failed to progress to the interview stage for all but one of my applications (19 applications in total over 2 years, both VS and direct TC).

I've now returned to my home country and moved back in with my parents right after graduation because I cannot afford to live in London (or anywhere in the UK really).

I don't really know what to do now - I could self-fund the SQE, but at this point I'm not sure that pouring any more money (or time) into a commercial law career that may never even happen for me would be reasonable. This is the only career I've considered over the last 3 years, so now I find myself without any experience or ideas as to what other career I could pursue. I'm really lost and feeling hopeless - coming to study law in the UK, I was honestly expecting this to be at least a little bit easier, especially considering the prestige of the degree/my uni.

This is only half request for advice and half rant - I just want to know how others have coped in a similar situation, or whether you have any tips you could offer me here.

• 🤝
Reactions: legallybrunette8

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    I just graduated from Law at a top 10 RG uni with a low/mid 2.1 and no work experience.
    Over the last 3 years, I only managed to get 1 first-year insight scheme and 1 internship at a commercial law firm in my home country (not the UK).
    Other than that, I failed to progress to the interview stage for all but one of my applications (19 applications in total over 2 years, both VS and direct TC).

I've now returned to my home country and moved back in with my parents right after graduation because I cannot afford to live in London (or anywhere in the UK really).

I don't really know what to do now - I could self-fund the SQE, but at this point I'm not sure that pouring any more money (or time) into a commercial law career that may never even happen for me would be reasonable. This is the only career I've considered over the last 3 years, so now I find myself without any experience or ideas as to what other career I could pursue. I'm really lost and feeling hopeless - coming to study law in the UK, I was honestly expecting this to be at least a little bit easier, especially considering the prestige of the degree/my uni.

This is only half request for advice and half rant - I just want to know how others have coped in a similar situation, or whether you have any tips you could offer me here.
    Hi there,

Sorry to hear that! Getting a TC is an incredibly gruelling and at times frustrating journey. As an international student myself, I understand how you're feeling. And much like yourself, law was the only career I've ever considered. If you're interested, I'm more than happy to have a chat and see if there is anything specific I can help you with.

Hope you feel better soon.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.