Telling VS firm I've had VSs elsewhere?

Newcomer14

Standard Member
Apr 2, 2024
Hi :) I'm currently on a VS at a mid-sized firm (Stephenson Harwood). Ik that others on the scheme have updated grad rec about exam results they've received during the scheme. I've recently received my GDL results and also, since filling out the application form in September, I've participated in 2 vac schemes at other firms. Would it be wise to email grad rec about these extra updates to my CV, not included in my original application? Not sure if telling them about other vac schemes (I'm awaiting the results of these) will increase or decrease my chances of converting VS into a TC. Any help is much appreciated, thanks :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi :) I'm currently on a VS at a mid-sized firm (Stephenson Harwood). Ik that others on the scheme have updated grad rec about exam results they've received during the scheme. I've recently received my GDL results and also, since filling out the application form in September, I've participated in 2 vac schemes at other firms. Would it be wise to email grad rec about these extra updates to my CV, not included in my original application? Not sure if telling them about other vac schemes (I'm awaiting the results of these) will increase or decrease my chances of converting VS into a TC. Any help is much appreciated, thanks :)
If the form is explicitly asking for more general details/updates rather than specifically just asking for updated academic results, then I would include it. I think it is important to show how active you have been in pursuing your career and highlighting other schemes is in 99% of cases going to be a positive update to provide to them. I don't think it automatically increases or decreases your chances of securing a TC, but it is important information to provide to them nonetheless.

If the form is only asking for academic updates though, I wouldn't try to force this information in.

Reactions: Newcomer14

Newcomer14

Standard Member
Apr 2, 2024
If the form is explicitly asking for more general details/updates rather than specifically just asking for updated academic results, then I would include it. I think it is important to show how active you have been in pursuing your career and highlighting other schemes is in 99% of cases going to be a positive update to provide to them. I don't think it automatically increases or decreases your chances of securing a TC, but it is important information to provide to them nonetheless.

If the form is only asking for academic updates though, I wouldn't try to force this information in.
Thanks, so helpful! It's not so much the GR team has sent out a written form, more that another vac schemer asked them in-person if they should send results, and they said yes. Therefore, would an email along lines of 'Dear GR team, I was just wondering if I should send you further info/updates that have come up since application etc.?' be a good start? Thank you :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks, so helpful! It's not so much the GR team has sent out a written form, more that another vac schemer asked them in-person if they should send results, and they said yes. Therefore, would an email along lines of 'Dear GR team, I was just wondering if I should send you further info/updates that have come up since application etc.?' be a good start? Thank you :)
Yes, I would check what updates they are looking for. You may want to reference work experience specifically though - eg

Dear GR team, I was just wondering if I should send you further info/updates, including work experience that I have completed since application my vacation scheme application etc.?'

Reactions: Newcomer14

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.