Suitability of profile: Applying for Direct TCs as an International Student

PS96

Mar 17, 2024
Hi All,

I'm relatively new to the forum and have found it to be incredibly helpful. I just wanted to gather opinions on whether my profile would be well-received by most of the major law firms.

For context:
- I am currently an international student completing my LLM this September at a highly-ranked RG uni (London-based)
- Did my undergraduate studies in Germany (graduated state exams with a 1:1 equivalent)
- Have work experiences in Germany, with 2 major Magic Circle firms, 1 other at a Silver Circle firm
- Missed majority of the VS deadlines as I only decided to switch my career to the UK in early 2024 and have been applying to Direct TCs

Hence, I was wondering if I am at a general disadvantage for not having applied to VS', but with 3 major legal experiences (2-6months each) at international firms, would that be taken into account and enough to overcome the lack of a VS? Just conscious of the "transferability" and credibility of legal experiences abroad.

Am not too sure as an international student, and would appreciate any honest thoughts on my candidacy!

@Jessica Booker It would be great to have your input if you'd be happy to :)

**Not sure if this is the right sub-forum to be posting in, happy to migrate it to the introductions sub-forum if needed!

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Your profile sounds great - I wouldn’t worry too much about it in all honesty.

You’ll just need to ensure you have a good “why law in the U.K.” answer rather than Germany or another jurisdiction.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.