• Hey Guest, leading international law firm BCLP is live right now in the forum! This is a perfect opportunity to ask any questions you have to the recruitment team. Ask a question here!

Stakeholders?!!

Naveen Kas

Nov 10, 2018
Identify a current commercial story which has attracted your attention recently? Please explain why you have identified this issue and why you consider it to be significant to the stakeholders involved?

The part in bold is causing me some difficulty I am failing to understand what is this asking me as stakeholders generally refer to the people involved in a company...?

Any thoughts on this?

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Identify a current commercial story which has attracted your attention recently? Please explain why you have identified this issue and why you consider it to be significant to the stakeholders involved?

The part in bold is causing me some difficulty I am failing to understand what is this asking me as stakeholders generally refer to the people involved in a company...?

Any thoughts on this?

A stakeholder is literally an individual who holds an interest in a business for example, a director, employee or shareholder

The part in bold is really asking you how the above individuals will find your chosen issue significant and why!

Leke

Star Member
Future Trainee
Jun 24, 2018

Any thoughts on this?
Hmm....I think the question is just inviting you to talk about the relevance of the issue to the parties involved. So in a trade war scenario the parties include the governments warring, the businesses winning and losing, the consumers losing, the employees getting laid off, and maybe even the law firm you are applying to ( the effect on their margins)...
In the Sainsburys-Asda merger (Soz my commercial knowledge is rusty) it would have been the employees that were going to get laid off, Walmart Asda's parent company, third parties like Iceland and farmers (their ability to bargain on price for instance)...

What do you think?

Reactions: Naveen Kas and Lawgirlxo

Lawgirlxo

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Jun 20, 2018
Stakeholders are the people that are interested in the performance of a company or even a ‘thing’

The term stakeholder could be interpreted broadly or narrowly depending on the commercial issue you choose.

If a company were to go burst, the stakeholders would be the employees, directors, creditors (banks and all the people the company owes money to) competitors of that company, the govt maybe (depends on how big the company is).

Just ask yourself,

1. What is the commercial issue that caught my attention.
2. Who cares about this commercial issue? i.e they are usually the ones that will be affected by this issue. This is where your why would come in.

Also, there’s a slight difference between a shareholder and a stakeholder. (The two terms are interchangeable in some cases but not always). You can google it just to be sure!

Reactions: kitk and Naveen Kas

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.